Jeff Eastman Guest

Tim Moreira Guest

Default Re: Light switch location

Jeff,

Not sure if it is a code, could not find it in the IRC if it is, but, ideally there should be a 3 way switch at the door to the garage and one at the entrance to the laundry room.

You should not have to travel in the dark across the laundry room to find the switch at the garage door.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Moreira View Post
    Jeff,

Not sure if it is a code, could not find it in the IRC if it is, but, ideally there should be a 3 way switch at the door to the garage and one at the entrance to the laundry room.

You should not have to travel in the dark across the laundry room to find the switch at the garage door.
    As long as you are using the word "should' as meaning 'common sense says you should', then okay, but, if you are using "should" as in "you should/shall do this", then no.

Code is *minimum*, nothing more. It 'should not be' what architects look at as the way 'things should be', it 'should' be what architects look at as 'no way in tarnation am *I* going to be caught doing minimal work and putting in just what the minimal code requires, not me, not with my name on it'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Jerry

As long as you are using the word "should' as meaning 'common sense says you should', then okay, but, if you are using "should" as in "you should/shall do this", then no.
    Yep, they should be able to access the light from either side.

Nah, but you 'really should' be able to turn your lights on and off from down the street, so you do not come home to a dark house.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Isn't that why the "clapper" was invended?

Jerry
    you said
    "Nah, but you 'really should' be able to turn your lights on and off from down the street, so you do not come home to a dark house."

I can help you with that.
    Turn on/off any or all lights with a phone call. Even check the status of the alarm system and more.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"Honey, what's this switch for?"
    "I don't know, I never use it."

Meanwhile, the garage door 3 houses down is bouncing off of the car hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I can help you with that.
    Turn on/off any or all lights with a phone call. Even check the status of the alarm system and more.
    My point exactly ... and, as to what "should" means or does not mean.

We all "should" (one day) be able to travel to the moon as though it were 'next door', and, universally speaking, the moon 'is next door'.

That does not, however, mean 'we shall' travel there, some of us may not want to. When the price is right, I'll sign up (on second thought, I doubt I'll even be alive 'when the price it right').

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com