Jon mackay Guest

Default 4 Layers of roofing 2 x 4 x 24 framing

Good afternoon,
    I came across this roof that has the original wood shingles and 3 layers of composition shingles. The roof had areas of water penetration so I am going to recommend a complete tear off. The question I have is for the framing. It is 2 x 4 x 24 and has had re bracing. I was trying to think of a good way to note all of this without trying to sound like an engineer.
    Does anyone have any good verbiage that would address the framing issues shown in the pictures?

Thank you,
    Jon

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 4 Layers of roofing 2 x 4 x 24 framing

Roof framing does not properly meet at the ridge, purlins not properly sized or installed, purlins not properly supported; much of the insulation is installed upside down leaving the paper facing exposed, each batt has a warning label on the paper facing "WARNING: RISK OF FIRE - DO NOT LEAVE FACING EXPOSED. Facing must be in contact with gypsum board or other approved building material.", if there is a fire in this attic, that paper facing will spread it across the attic very quickly.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

if there is a fire in this attic, that paper facing will spread it across the attic very quickly. So Jerry, that's not good thing?

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Richard Rushing Guest

Hey John,

Where are you at?

The weight of the composition shingles, the wood shingles, the lath boads combined with the inadequate sizing of the purlins and lack of support could cause the sudden appearance of daylight during snow or ice loads.

Hell... if a couple of large birds land just right, there might be sudden and unexpected daylight appear from the living side...

Rich

Rich, I don't know where he is located but I see some white stuff in the background of the first picture. That is one roof I would not walk, and I think your "sudden appearance of daylight" might be closer than they think. That really needs to be torn off and rebuilt in order to correct all the problems.
    I would not get too detailed on all the problems, just give them enough to let them know it is about to fall in and they need a major rebuild.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Richard Rushing Guest

quote from Jim:
    "I would not get too detailed on all the problems, just give them enough to let them know it is about to fall in and they need a major rebuild.
    That's sound advice that I too recommend...

CYA on this one.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    if there is a fire in this attic, that paper facing will spread it across the attic very quickly. So Jerry, that's not good thing?
    Hmmmm ... on second thought, you may be right ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon mackay Guest

I am in Binghamton, NY, potential for heavy snow depending on the year..
    I was going to indicate potential for structural failure exists but my boss told me that would not be appropriate as I am not an engineer. I thought it would get the point across and we would be Covering ourselves better with the statement.
    I was going to recommend replacement and leave it at that..
    Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Jon,

From the IRC. (read condition 3. - this is because weight of the roof coverings become an issue)
    - R907.3 Re-covering versus replacement.
    New roof coverings shall not be installed without first removing existing roof coverings where any of the following conditions occur:
    - - 1. Where the existing roof or roof covering is water-soaked or has deteriorated to the point that the existing roof or roof covering is not adequate as a base for additional roofing.
    - - 2. Where the existing roof covering is wood shake, slate, clay, cement or asbestos-cement tile.
    - - 3. Where the existing roof has two or more applications of any type of roof covering.
    - - 4. For asphalt shingles, when the building is located in an area subject to moderate or severe hail exposure according to Figure R903.5.
    - - (there are some exceptions, none of which apply here)

Also not this: (it is missed *A LOT*, and is missed in your photo too)

- R907.4 Roof recovering.
    Where the application of a new roof covering over wood shingle or shake roofs creates a combustible concealed space, the entire existing surface shall be covered with gypsum board, mineral fiber, glass fiber or other approved materials securely fastened in place.

I.e., you should not be able to see those wood shingles from within the attic, they should be protected (covered) by one of the materials listed above.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com