Kevin Luce Guest

Default R317 in the IRC book

I did an inspection on this 4 year old duplex where fire rated drywall was installed in the attic separating the two units. I went into the garage attic and the same drywall was installed in the same way (all the way to the roof). Then where the over the attic space stopped and the space where to roof sheathing began (separation of the garage space and house attic space) there was no drywall separating the two units. I can literally go up into the attic from the garage at one unit and walk around the firewall and enter the next unit's garage attic space. Is this installation correct and if so, is it because of the wood sheathing is separating the garage attic space from the house attic space? IRC R803.2.1.2 is the only thing that I can think of that would be an exception to R317.

Can somebody set me straight for this type of installation. First time this has been done that I know of.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Kevin Luce; 02-24-2008 at 07:54 AM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: R317 in the IRC book

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    I did an inspection on this 4 year old duplex where fire rated drywall was installed in the attic separating the two units. I went into the garage attic and the same drywall was installed in the same way (all the way to the roof). Then where the over the attic space stopped and the space where to roof sheathing began (separation of the garage space and house attic space) there was no drywall separating the two units. I can literally go up into the attic from the garage at one unit and walk around the firewall and enter the next unit's garage attic space. Is this installation correct and if so, is it because of the wood sheathing is separating the garage attic space from the house attic space? IRC R803.2.1.2 is the only thing that I can think of that would be an exception to R317.

Can somebody set me straight for this type of installation. First time this has been done that I know of.
    I would have to say that is not a correct firewall.
    Look at the code a little further down. I'm assuming this was from the 2003 IRC.

R317.2.1 Continuity. The common wall for townhouses
    shall be continuous from the foundation to the underside of
    the roof sheathing, deck or slab and shall extend the full
    length of the common wall including walls extending
    through and separating attached accessory structures.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Default Re: R317 in the IRC book

Scott is correct. It is not only incorrect but incomplete and not effective.

Aaron