Don Sweet Guest

Default Building Inspector - first post

Member Benefits1

Default Re: Building Inspector - first post

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sweet View Post
    when the room is NOT marked bedroom on the plans? IRC says no...my partner says, "yes."
    Does not matter what it is "marked" on the plans ... *is* it a bedroom?

I.e., does it have a smoke detector as required for bedrooms.

Does it have natural light and ventilation?

Does it have a closet?

If it is a "bedroom" in all but name, then yes, it should have an EERO.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don Sweet Guest

Question Re: Building Inspector - first post

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. In the discussion I had with IRC, I was told that a person could sleep in any room. An upstairs MEDIA room with a smoke detector, bathroom for convenience, and closet for storage of media equipment would NOT require an EE exit...albeit probably a good idea. If an EE would be required because the room had a closet, natural light and a smoke detector, the Code would probably require an EE in ALL second floor rooms...

Don

Don,

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it's duck ... regardless of what the IRC says about it.

What happens when the next owner uses that for what it is ... a bedroom ... and someone dies in there? *I* would not want to get that phone call.

"In the discussion I had with IRC, I was told that a person could sleep in any room."

Yes, you can even sleep in the kitchen, but that does not make it a "bedroom" - heck, you can even sleep in the attic or garage, but that does not make them "bedrooms".

The critical factors should be: a) does it have a smoke detector; b) does it have a closet suitable for clothes - not just a small storage closet for the equipment; c) does it have a window for natural light and ventilation?

Many media rooms I've seen have been able to get by without the required "natural light and ventilation" because ... the window would be kept closed and the black out shades kept drawn. I don't necessarily agree with those allowances, but, if the AHJ allows them, then that room does not meet the requirements of a "bedroom". Put in a window and that room does become "a bedroom" and that window should meet the EERO requirements.

"Bedrooms" are not 'rooms where one can sleep', they are intended for use as 'sleeping rooms', and, if the room meets the requirements of a 'sleeping room' and can be used for that purpose, then it "likely will become a sleeping room (i.e., "bedroom) at some point in time".

I know the ICC people are making 'allowances' for new rooms, but to me (old fashioned me) thinks "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck ... it's duck.", I don't care if the builder does call it a "dog" room on the plans ... when the Aflack duck waddles in and makes it it's room, it's a "duck" room.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 02-25-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: a duck "quacks" not "quakes" ... unless a bigger animal is chasing it - Thanks Jim.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

and quakes like a duck ... it's duck.",
    Is that one of those ducks from high seismic areas?

I see these media rooms and game rooms in new construction in several different jurisdictions and it is always readily apparent the intent of the room. Media rooms having no windows, closet or smoke detectors. Of course there are always 3 or more bedrooms that do meet all the qualifications.

I DO make mention that the non-conforming rooms should not be converted to bedrooms since it would be a "Fry room" (Jerry P.'s term) instead of a bedroom.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

We have a room as such at our home and it has no windows. Home is approx. 2 years old. It is on the second floor and has (3) other bedroom locations on that floor.

There is a smoke detector inside the room and opposite the door to the room.

A true theatre room is not going to have a window it in it as the daylight obstructs the screen.

In the homes in the Dallas area that I personally inspect, I'm not seeing windows in the theatre rooms. They are not bedrooms.

rick

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    In the homes in the Dallas area that I personally inspect, I'm not seeing windows in the theatre rooms. They are not bedrooms.

rick
    In the land of basements I have been seeing a lot of theater rooms on the lowest level, some under the garage. One entrance, no windows, etc.

They are not considered bedrooms in my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post

While they are not "bedrooms" they are "habitable spaces" and "habitable spaces" are required to have natural light and ventilation. Therein lies the problem. Put in windows to meet that requirement and you might push the room into the realm of being a bedroom. Do not put windows in and you are violating the code - even if the AHJ says it is okay to not put windows in - it is specifically against the IRC and the AHJ is not allowed to 'interpret' against the specifically written IRC ... says so in the IRC itself.

That said, I go for no windows in that room, to reduce the likelihood that it will someday become a bedroom, meaning 'it no longer looks like a duck', therefore it might not be a duck.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com