Default Landscape Sprinkler

Just had a question from a client regarding the necessity of anti-siphon valves on landscape sprinklers. Are they required when the house is supplied by a private well? I would think so, and reported as such, but since the query, I have been unable to find any specific code.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Default Re: Landscape Sprinkler

Gunnar,

Here's a interesting read on the subject.

Irrigation Backflow Preventers

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    Are they required when the house is supplied by a private well? I would think so, and reported as such, but since the query, I have been unable to find any specific code.

Gunnar,

P2902.1 General.
    A potable water supply system shall be designed and installed as to prevent contamination from nonpotable liquids, solids or gases being introduced into the potable water supply. Connections shall not be made to a potable water supply in a manner that could contaminate the water supply or provide a cross-connection between the supply and a source of contamination unless an approved backflow-prevention device is provided. Cross-connections between an individual water supply and a potable public water supply shall be prohibited.

P2902.3 Backflow protection.

A means of protection against backflow shall be provided in accordance with Sections P2902.3.1 through P2902.3.6. Backflow prevention applications shall conform to Table P2902.3, except as specifically stated in Sections P2902.4 through P2902.5.5.
    (followed by a listing of 6 types of backflow devices)

P2902.4 Protection of potable water outlets.

Potable water openings and outlets shall be protected by an air gap, reduced pressure principle backflow preventer with atmospheric vent, atmospheric-type vacuum breaker, pressure-type vacuum breaker or hose connection backflow preventer.
    (followed by a listing of 3 examples)

I should add: I am presuming by your question that both the house and the landscape sprinkler system are provided by the same well.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Rick,

Thanks. Interesting read and good information. I particularly liked the reference to dihydrogen monoxide (H20). There is a really good website on that.

Jerry,

I don't inspect wells, just note them. However, I only recall one well. Interesting thought, though. If there were separate pressure tanks, each with its own check valve, this might be acceptable. Had not thought of that.

Thanks for the replies. The only obvious problem is that CA still does not use the IRC. It is reliable as a reference and no doubt has a UPC corollary.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/