Default Water damage from patio door

I have some water damage from under the patio door. The nails in the subfloor show signs of mildew and some of the door hinges leading to room below this area have rust/mildew on them. Would the high humidity cause the rust on the hinge screws?? I couldnt come up with any other conclusion. I would guess the high humidity above the drop ceiling would be the likely culprit that caused the mildew around the nails above. The subfloor didnt have much for water damage except at the edge under and around the door. see photos

Any Ideas?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX
    "Get the Best of US before your new home gets the best of YOU!"

Default Re: Water damage from patio door

Quote Originally Posted by Lanny Freng View Post
    I have some water damage from under the patio door. The nails in the subfloor show signs of mildew and some of the door hinges leading to room below this area have rust/mildew on them. Would the high humidity cause the rust on the hinge screws?? I couldnt come up with any other conclusion. I would guess the high humidity above the drop ceiling would be the likely culprit that caused the mildew around the nails above. The subfloor didnt have much for water damage except at the edge under and around the door. see photos

Any Ideas?
    Lanny,

Picture # 2 looks like a water leak from the amount & pattern of stains.

My guess on the door hinges is they are in an unconditioned space and get cool / warm quicker than the wooden door frame and whatever moisture thats present condenses on the metal hinges.

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 02-25-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Larry to Lanny
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

yeah no doubt a water leak, they ran a ledger flashing on the deck ledger and butted it up to the edges of the patio door. Water was coming into the basement under the patio door and running down the walls. House was kind of peculiar, foreclosure deal 75% of the sheetrock was removed, unclear as to why, behind the built rite sheathing looked fine, remaining insulation was not discolored and the drywall that backed up to the gutterd areas showed no signs of moisture damage?? I have no idea why they gutted so much. Guy buying thought maybe water damage but that seems like a lot of damaged area with no other evidence of moisture...

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

----House was kind of peculiar, foreclosure deal 75% of the sheetrock was removed, unclear as to why,--..

Lanny,

Could have been the Large holes the previous occupants left in them.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

must of realllllllly hated the bank, that would be alot of work to make a point!

Lanny Freng
    Inspection WerX

must of realllllllly hated the bank, that would be alot of work to make a point!
    I've seen it happen here several times.

Or maybe they just didn't like the wall color.

Marty Hurst Guest

In my part of the country, they get really, really bad for not only do they knock or kick holes in the walls, they like to take ALL of the light bulbs!!

Jay Barnett Guest

I inpspected a foreclosure recently with just bottom half of all sheetrock around house removed. Every room, every wall down to the studs and electrical wire. Found that house went into foreclosure in october but wasn't winterized until feb. Pipes had already burst and caused alot of damage. so only the bottom half that was damaged was removed. maybe in this case they removed all???

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Barnett View Post
    I inpspected a foreclosure recently with just bottom half of all sheetrock around house removed. Every room, every wall down to the studs and electrical wire. Found that house went into foreclosure in october but wasn't winterized until feb. Pipes had already burst and caused alot of damage. so only the bottom half that was damaged was removed. maybe in this case they removed all???
    Jay,

It's typical for a Fire & Water Restoration Company to tear out the lower portion of a water damaged house & remove the wet insulation on the exterior walls.

The way I've seen it work is everything that's wet is removed, fans, dehumidifiers are ran for several days with a moisture reading taken everyday until the structure is dry.