Jim McClendon Guest

Default wiring service panels 101..(help Jerry P)

From the meter there is an exterior panel (2nd photo) with a 200 amp shut off for the house (3rd photo), a 60 amp shut off for the shop (1st photo) and to further complicate matters a generator interface(above in the 2nd photo) is tied into the mess. I am looking for thoughts regarding the wiring in the photos and any other pearls of wisdom you care to impart about this setup. (no sub panels here) :-)

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: wiring service panels 101..(help Jerry P)

For starters can't tell for sure at the "house panel", but at the "shop panel' looks like neutral and ground are bonded (under the same terminal, in fact) and the bonding strap is installed from the bus to the panel (under the the black wires to the top breaker in this photo).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Jim McClendon Guest

Yes, the neutral and ground wires are together on the same terminal and the bus is attached to the panel with a bonding strap. Many of the neutral and ground wires in both panels are attached to the same terminal and/or bus.

Exterior service equipment:

The SEC feed from the meter (on the left) to the service disconnect (main disconnect) for the house, which then feeds the transfer switch (above), which then feeds the house panel.

I can't tell for sure what feeds the main disconnect for the shop, is this also fed from the transfer switch above?

At this point (the main disconnects in the exterior photo) the neutrals and grounds are bonded together .... this is the only place that should be the case.

Shop panel:

The neutrals and grounds *SHOULD NOT BE* in the same terminals, not even in the same terminal bar.

There is also a multiple tapped breaker there.

House panel:

There are two ungodly bundled groups of conductors (NM cables) going up into to nipples or something - and this just is not right at all, for several reasons.

Neutrals and grounds are in the same terminal bar and should not be, and look to be in the same terminals too, like the shop panel.

Neutrals multiple tapped off the top of the left neutral terminal bar, which is not allowed.

It 'looks like' the left and right neutral terminal bars 'are not' connected, and, if this is actually the case, then what is connecting the neutral terminal bar on the left with the right one where the feeder neutral terminates? I can't tell from the photo - but that style enclosure/interior typically has a cross over bar at the bottom (like the one shown in the shop panel).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim McClendon Guest

"I can't tell for sure what feeds the main disconnect for the shop, is this also fed from the transfer switch above?"

Can't tell either, but assumed it was the 60 amp breaker in the exterior photo. I listed the obvious things and called for a license electrician. Thanks for the reply Michael and Jerry. I'm not electrically inclined and appreciate your input.