Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default I'm Going On the DL

I am the not-so proud owner of a recently diagnosed inguinal hernia. As ridiculous as it sounds, I think I acquired it during a bout with congestion and coughing in January. I've always been a strong nose-blower and I think I overdid it. The hernia is a small protrusion that occassionally pops out on my left side above my groin.

I went to the surgical center at the hospital on Tuesday and set up surgery to fix it this coming Wednesday. The Dr. told me it will hurt like hell for the 1st week because they will need to cut through my abdonimal muscle to make the repair and I cannot lift anything over 30lbs. for 1 month. I hope I can resume some level of work that doesn't require the 32' extension ladder before the end of March but it will be a wait and see type of thing.

Anybody else here ever get a hernai repaired?

Member Benefits1

Default Re: I'm Going On the DL

Nick,

I have a hernia also. It is next to my navel and I acquired it one day when I was lifting a spray rig by myself from my truck bed. I just strained myself too much.

My doctor says as long as it is not bothering me to leave it alone for the time being. He said losing some weight may actually cause it to go away somewhat. I've been dieting or watching what I eat lately and have dropped 16lbs. I can see a difference in it already.

Bought myself a treadmill and have been walking 3-5 miles a day on it.

My brother in law recently had a hernia removed in day surgery and had no real issues with it.

rick

Joe Griffin Guest

Rick, are you sure that's not a goiter? Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck

My best Curly imitation vis a vis text!

You guys take it easy. Lift with the legs..........

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Surgery completed yesterday.
    Lots of pain today.
    Whatever you guys do, don't get a hernia.
    This sucks.

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Surgery completed yesterday.
    Lots of pain today.
    Whatever you guys do, don't get a hernia.
    This sucks.

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!!!
    Don't be macho. Get the GOOD drugs!
    Heal fast, Nick.

Thanks Nick for the info

<on phone cancelling appt. with doctor>

rick

David Banks Guest

Nick. Take the 30 days rest seriously. My best friend had one last year and went back to concrete work after 2 weeks. Big mistake. Had to go back as he tore it open.
    Hope you feel better.

I had gum surgery yesterday. That's a weird feeling when they are tugging on the stitches in your mouth. You can feel them pulling on you, but not actually feel the stitch in your mouth. Take advantage of all the sympathy you can get out of your wife.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    I had gum surgery yesterday. That's a weird feeling when they are tugging on the stitches in your mouth. You can feel them pulling on you, but not actually feel the stitch in your mouth. Take advantage of all the sympathy you can get out of your wife.
    Jim. What type of surgery. I am having two implants. In December I had one tooth removed as part of the process. Worst experience of my life. They could not pull the tooth as the want to preserve the bone for the implant so he drilled it out in sections. Over an hour to get the tooth out. Then they peeled my gum back to put in a bone graph and then stitched it up. Novocaine ran out half way during toothe removal and had to stick needles in tooth area. Pure torture thought I was in an Iraqi prison.
    Heading back in spring for the Implants. This is supposedly easier.

Ouch! They took a section of skin from the roof of my mouth, and grafted it onto my gum where the gum line had receded too far down. Not too painful so far, but it sure feels weird. It feels like I got socked in the jaw. The dentist said that brushing too hard and/or with a tooth brush that is too hard is a common cause of receding gums. Guilty. I thought I was supposed to brush hard to get the tartar off, but apparently I was doing more harm than good.

Good luck with the implants. I can't believe the Novacaine wore off during the procedure. I bet that made you jump.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

OK, enough with the graphic descriptions! I am not going to read posts like this anymore. Yes, I am a wimp.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/