Default Shingle corners curled up

The picture doesn't do this justice. The shingle corners on all shingles only on the back of this roof were curled up just a little. The front was fine. Is there a reason? Bad batch of shingles? Thanks in advance,

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1
    Jim, in Calvert County, MD

Default Re: Shingle corners curled up

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kasterko View Post
    ---The shingle corners on all shingles only on the back of this roof were curled up just a little. ----The front was fine. Is there a reason?
    Jim,

My guess would be the shingles in the back were in the shade and the adhesive did not get hot enough to set before an event such as High wind lifted the edges.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

In addition to Billy's comments, south and west exposures tend to wear fastest due to sunlight, on the other hand they could be different quality shingles on the back side of roof?

Age. We see it all the time here in the sunny southwest.
    You might have other factors like the others mentioned, but the primary factors here are age and exposure.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

This guy found the cure...almost

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

I have seen sellers re-roof the front only, it may not be the case with yours, but it has & is being done.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

Patrick Norton Guest

I have found this condition where there is poor ventilation in the attic below.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BARRY ADAIR View Post
    This guy found the cure...almost
    Barry - wonder if it was at least 6-mil poly? Maybe a heavier weight would have helped?

Michael Farha Guest

I see that alot in Oklahoma. It's usually on the south slopes where it gets more weather and sun.

Here in West Tennessee this condition is very common with roof surface facing the north....even on a roof that is less than 5-7 years of age. Shade, lack of sunshine, heavy moisture, all causes in this area.

Greg D. Dames Guest

When I was working Hurricane claims in LA and FL got used to the blue tarped roofs. If you look at the area now Google Earth they still have tons of blue roofs. I guess they like them and they are cheaper than shingles.

Bill Tomberlin Guest

This is a typical manufacturing issue. The cupping or curling of the shingles happens when the top surface of the shingle shrinks relative to the bottom of the shingle. Same as with the Clawing or downward curling of the shingle only in reverse.

Jim Kasterko did not state the age.
    Jim Luttrall I believe would be the closest answer.

(My guess would be the shingles in the back were in the shade and the adhesive did not get hot enough to set before an event such as High wind lifted the edges.)

As soon as the heat rises sun or no sun the shingles will lay flat. Walk on them and it can leave foot prints. The wind would lift the whole tab not just the edges.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Here is one that looks like a nice new roof from the road.

Clarksville Home Inspection
    JW Goad
    TN License #307 | KY License #2402

haha... John, I was going to try and re-label you photo with "normal" and "moss covered".

I would agree with the earlier post. Up here it's usually due to age or a attic venting (or lack of) issue.