Default My 'new' 1983 Jaguar XJS

I didn't have 'my next Jaguar' when the previous thread of cars was going on, but I picked one yesterday.

Only 62,868 miles (until I drove it 220 miles back home from the dealer). That's only about 2,500 miles per year average.

I'll be checking the mileage tomorrow when I fill it back up - expecting around 12 mpg.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Default Re: My 'new' 1983 Jaguar XJS

VERY COOL!

I can see your already out picking up the chicks in it.

Enjoy.

Rick

Very nice!

We have a neighbor that has a White 1982 XJS, the only problem he had was the electrical had to be completely redone, or something like that. It use to be owned by George Jones and it only had 30,000 ,miles on it when he bought it last year. Said George used it to drive back and forth to the Grand Ole Opry a few times a month.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,

Lucky him! That's only about 1,200 miles per year average - WOW!

Mine was not (to my knowledge) owned by anyone famous, but it was a Pennsylvania car (I had the dealer put it up on their rack so I could inspect the undercarriage for rust - none!) and they only get about 3-4 months per year to drive their fancy cars without having to worry about salt on the roads - the rest of the time they are kept in the garage.

Mine is all original, including the paint, so I'm going to see if I can get it buffed back into like new condition. Well, all original except the radio, that was replaced with a newer CD player radio with one of those removable faces. Okay, also except the tires - they are almost brand spanking new!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Wink Re: My 'new' 1983 Jaguar XJS

Jerry P
    Welcome to the ownership of a classic Jag. However, please remember that when you became an owner of one the worlds' finest cars you must use the English pronunciation, "jæ-gyuh-"wahr." There is no other option to this rule!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

David Banks Guest

Congratulations Jerry! Were you able to get through all the motorcycles to get it home. I went by your exit on Saturday and Rt 1A was motorcycles as far as the eye could see!

I can't wrap my Texas twang around that English pronunciation, guess I'll just have to stick with Jag.
    The closest I ever came to owning a Jag. was my son's 1973 Datsun 240z.
    Ok, not even close to a Jag, but it was a neat looking little car and for a straight 6 it would move pretty good, not even straining at over 100 mph (don't tell my son.)

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Jerry,

"Way cool" ... to use my stepson's lingo.

That Jag is absolutely beautiful. I'm very happy for you to land that prize.

Aaron Miller Guest

Jerry:

Cruise on E.C. . . .

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    Jerry P
    Welcome to the ownership of a classic Jag. However, please remember that when you became an owner of one the worlds' finest cars you must use the English pronunciation, "jæ-gyuh-"wahr." There is no other option to this rule!
    West Coast Jerry,

This is my 7th 'Jag - u- ar' as the pronunciation is broken down (your pronunciation if more 'high flutin' looking though ).

I've had:

1954 MK VII

1954 XK 140

1959 MK (later to be known as the MK I)

1960 MK II (which is why the MK became the MK I)

1967 E Type (commonly known as the XKE)

1972 XK 6

(nothing since 1992)

and now my 1983 XJS.

As a side note, I've also driven (okay, stretching this term here, I drove it down a parking lot and back) 1957 D Type when at the 12 hours of Sebring race in 1966 when it was considered 'just an old Jag race car', now they are worth so much that would never happen) and I've also driven (for about 30 minutes around downtown Gainesville in 1985) a 1933 SS1 (SS stands for Swallow Sidecar, which was the name before it became Jaguar) - right hand drive of course!

Thanks guys,

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,

Thats one fine piece of machinery!

Congratulations.

For those interested in legends: Jaguar History

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

My first job was working in a full service car wash where the customers left the cars and we loaded into the wash and then drove them off the other end. Jags stick out my mind as having the sweetest smelling leather of any car. I don't know what they do to make it so soft and nice but Mercdedes/BMW wasn't even in the same league.

Very nice ride.... So, where is the ladder going to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    For those interested in legends: Jaguar History

West Coast Jerry,

This is from that link and it does not tell the full story:

"
    Morale among workers dropped to a low point in April of 1980 when a strike over grading and pay provoked Sir Michael Edwarde's ultimatum "return to work or lose your jobs."

Jaguar needed a boost as never before. It also needed a full-time chairman. Enter Jaguar's new full-time chief executive John Egan in April of 1980. He came from parts directorship of Massey Ferguson Construction and Machinery Division. He was 40 years old, the "new blood" Jaguar so desperately needed.

Egan's first quote was, "One cannot have better ground to build on."
    He definitely brought an air of optimism and new life to Jaguar that was soon reflected in production and morale. By 1985 it was clear that Jaguar was stable once more and that Jaguar people do not give up!
    "

Shortly after John Egan took over (sometime in 1983 if I remember correctly), he obtained a value for the company, its assets, and cash on hand. For a company that size, there was only $500,000 cash on hand, and little 'net value' to the company.

Shortly after 1985, somewhere around 1987, the company's value had increased to the point where Ford became interested in buying Jaguar for $2 Billion (yes, with a "B"). In a remarkably short 3 years or so Jaguar went from having almost no cash on hand and little value to being worth $2 Billion.

That's a remarkable turnaround if there ever was one.

Ford has helped improve Jaguar quality through its research and development $$$$, and its $$$$ for backing funding, however, it has not turned out to be the best deal for Ford as they have not been able to get Jaguar to where they (as a large giant automobile company) needs it to be.

Here's to hoping that Jaguar continues to survive.

You sound like you are a Jaguar person too.

I have the front cap (hood) for this Jaguar XJR-5 IMSA Prototype ( 1983 JAGUAR GROUP 44 XJR-5 RACING CAR ) hanging from my garage ceiling - got it in 1986 from the 24 Hours at Daytona race. In the photo with it is the same car and same front cap at the 24 Hours at Le Mans race.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Jerry Peck; 03-03-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sweet jag! but it doesn't top my gangster ride.............well I like it anyway.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Mike,

Yeah, but ... you can put a ladder in there.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have a 16' fold up ladder and a 12' telescopic ladder I carry in there. As well as a 8' pry bar and shovel for septic tanks and of course all the other toys we enjoy. Another plus is 28MPG
    I haven't had any problems with getting on roofs. Sometimes I set up my 16' and carry up my 12' to other sections of roofs. If I need to go higher I'll take my 40' bucket truck. Downside is 8MPG, truck weighs 15,000 and has a 6.5 turbo diesel

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Ohhhhhhh you where saying "you can put a ladder in there".
    The seats fold up and then I'm sporting................

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Tim Moreira Guest

Cool deal Jerry,

I still have my 02 X-Type, but will be selling it soon as it is out of warrantee now.

Repairs are expensive as you know.

Love to get another one after this.

Richard Rushing Guest

JP-- that's bitch'in!!

Mike S., Now... that's a ride I want to get my hands on-- the 40' bucket truck. Seriously.

I'm considering buying one at auction.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Moreira View Post
    I still have my 02 X-Type, but will be selling it soon as it is out of warrantee now.
    Tim,

I've never wanted a 'new' one, just old ones, and the older the better. I always did all my own work, rebuilt my own engines too. I liked those XK engines. This one is a V-12 and I've never had a V-12 before.

Never thought I'd have one as new as this one either.

Would I trade it for my old 1954 XK 140 I had back around 1970? Well, that one would be worth a lot more, and be really fun to own and drive, but ... it would not be anywhere near of comfortable to drive as this one will be, and being worth more means it would be driven less ...

Same for all of my other ones ... well, maybe I'd want my 1967 E-Type 2+2 ... maybe ... probably ... ... maybe ...

Didn't know you had a 'new' one.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

That ole 67' E-type 2+2 was a neat S.O.B.
    can you say fast-back... very cool car.

rr

Richard,
    I bought mine off Ebay, montiored the site for few months learning about the diffrent models. None had A/C until I found this one. It was fully loaded with goodies. Bucket has a heater in it. Has 6000 watt inverter. Turbo diesel. Hell you could roast a pig on the back end of it..... Sprint spared no expense with this one.
    It came from Ohio so the bottom of the comartment doors where rusted off. I had panels bent and welded them in. I finished refurbing the back end now I need to paint the cab. Truck only has 110,000 miles on it.

Fun toy........

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

"Mike Schulz - Professional Roof Inspector To The Rescue"

Cool!

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Question Re: My 'new' 1983 Jaguar XJS

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Moreira View Post
    Cool deal Jerry,

Repairs are expensive as you know.

Love to get another one after this.
    Does anyone know what happened to Tim? He was very active on the board and this was his last post.

His email just stared bouncing back and the system will soon delete his account.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened to him.

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hannigan View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Tim? He was very active on the board and this was his last post.

His email just stared bouncing back and the system will soon delete his account.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what happened to him.
    Brian,

His Dad moved in with him and he stopped doing inspections for quite a while, then his Dad moved out (as I recall, anyway) and Tim tried starting back up, but then the economy was crashing, so Tim may have just given it up as he had a full time job and was doing home inspections only part time anyway.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian how did you come about wondering about Tim. Do you have a program that shows a scale of active users and post and you noticed he dropped off the chart.........

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Brian,

I asked the same question about Tim not long ago. I'm wondering now about Richard Rushing. What happened to him. He was a regular on here for so long.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Hey Jerry saw this for you...

YouTube - CHEVY POWERED JAGUAR

Now stuff a 350 Chev in it...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Hey Jerry saw this for you...

YouTube - CHEVY POWERED JAGUAR

Now stuff a 350 Chev in it...

Best

Ron

Ron,

Removing the Jaguar engine and putting in a Chevy small block or big block is what we call "Lumping", the car has been "lumped", it is now a "lump".

You could do the same thing with the Jaguar engine if the rear end ratio was changed.

Jaguars have a tall rear end ratio which allows for cruising at 100+ mph all day long, the XJS V-12 will cruise 150+ mph all day long (or until it runs out of gas, which is every few minutes at that speed ). With that tall rear end ratio comes poor starting line acceleration - spinning the tires like that is NOT going to happen.

Change the read end ratio and you can do that every time, and it is not the Chevy engine doing it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

I have a friend that has a Jag with the chev 350. i think he has nothing but problem with it. I have my old 420 SEL Like your Jag it will run and run and run. but unlike your Jag my 420 IS A VERY BORING CAR TO DRIVE.
    It is the best riding car i have ever owned but very boring to drive. can't hear a thing in it no road noise. I can just make out the motor if i put my foot in it. and at 2800 RPM I doing 85MPH After driving it for 10 HR Accross country when I get out of it. Its like getting out of my lazyboy... No problem. Now Your Jag is a fun car to drive. HAVE FUN WITH THAT.

Best

Ron

The Jag-u-ar is one British set of wheels which shouldn't leave oils spots on the driveway.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-24-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Turns out she leaks, oh well.......I:>)

That XJS is one awesome vehicle

Probably one of the best British V-12's ever made.

The engine is bulletproof!

Enjoy

However please note that these models are notorious for an oil leak thru the oil pressure sender seal on top of each bank of cylinders. The part is about .90$ but the labour to disassemble everything rubs into the thousands of $.

So keep your eye open for any oil leaks. If u see one. PARK IT or expensive engine job will follow.

If u r handy and patient u hace a car which is easy and cheap to fix.

Gos Save The queen...lol

John, Joe,

Actually, the V-12 is well know for its oil leaks, which really are not troublesome ... as long as you do not mind oil on your driveway.

I am, of course, referring to "the older" V-12 engines. After Ford bought Jaguar they fixed most of the oil leaks by changing gasket material. Jaguar used a thin paper like material for many of those gaskets, Ford changed those gaskets to Gortex gasket material, which has a rubber compound in the composite material, dropped the oil leaks to almost nothing.

My wife got tired of my kitty messing the garage floor, so I put a piece of plywood under the kitty to serve as a litter box.

One of these days I will begin replacing those paper gaskets with Gortex gaskets and my kitty will then be 'trained'.

My mpg isn't too bad, 12 around town and 15 highway, but I've been told that if the oxygen sensors are original (and they probably are) that is likely why I am getting such poor mileage, am told that I should be getting 16 mpg town and 18 mpg highway - which is not bad at all for a car like that. So, replacing the oxygen sensors has been added to my list of things to do.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Laurieri View Post
    Probably one of the best British V-12's ever made.

The engine is bulletproof!
    Yep, and why they made such good engines for the Jaguar 24 hour Prototypes for 24 hours of Le Mans and 24 hours of Daytona - they can run full bore all day and all night and hold together under extreme conditions. The V-12 is a perfectly balanced engine with the firing order of the right bank the same as that of the left bank, which means the V-12 will still run smooth and balanced on one bank of cylinders - not much power mind you, but still in perfect balance, which is why some people called it the Twin Six or Double Six (not that one should run it very long that way, but it will, the problem being that fuel is being pumped into and through the non-firing bank and collecting somewhere along the exhaust, and you DO NOT want that to ignite ). Those were the Marelli ignition engines which had two separate 6 plug distributors, one for each bank of cylinders, and if one failed ...

Of course, the old 4.2 liter straight 6 could run forever too. One test in the 1960s they ran the 4.2 liter for 7 days straight at full racing speed, all day and all night, only stopping for fuel, tires, and driver changes and oil changes. If I recall correctly, they averaged 100+ mph for that 168 hours (including the down time for fuel, tires and driver changes and oil changes), that's 16,800 miles put in at full speed and in only 7 days. Pretty impressive is what that is called.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

imported_John Smith Guest

Two words - Lucas Electronics

My mid life crisis machine - Porsche 993.

My brother in law has the new Jag XF. Total departure from classic jags. I drove it when he brought it home, by then it had 24 miles on it. Beautiful car, fast, drives nice, and J.D. Powers thinks their reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Two words - Lucas Electronics
    Also known as "Prince of Darkness".

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ron Bibler Guest

I rented a new JAG A few years back to small for me. at 6'2" I Just can't ride in one for a long time. The only car that fits me is my 1991 420 SEL.

Sometimes is sucks being tall and a bit well a lot chuby

Now my wifes MINI. I fit in that just fine...

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    I rented a new JAG A few years back to small for me. at 6'2" I Just can't ride in one for a long time. The only car that fits me is my 1991 420 SEL.

Sometimes is sucks being tall and a bit well a lot chuby

Now my wifes MINI. I fit in that just fine...

Best

Ron
    You would have fit well in my 1954 MK VII sedan ... well, you would have had to scrunch around my surfboard sticking in through the sunroof, but otherwise ...

You would really have been scrunched up in my 1967 E-Type, or my 1954 XK 140.

What can I say, I'm not real tall, like the Englishmen who designed them. And not real portly either. (at least not back then and not now, but between ... won't go there).

My high school electronics teacher had a 1954 MG TD, you would have been looking over the windscreen at your height, except that you may not have gotten in due to ... well ... girth (according to your post anyway).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry,
    If you ever get tired of it, I have a 65 mustang I would like to put a jag rear end in. Good looking car thu. My 90 xj6 vdp gets about 14mpg in town and I can squezze 20 -22 on the hwy, when the wife is with me and it's below 90 mph But the one I miss would be my 83 5oo Sec, now that was a fun car.

A.D. Miller Guest

A.D.,
    you must be a multi inspector firm.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bruce m graham III View Post
    A.D.,
    you must be a multi inspector firm.
    BG: Just a dreamer.

Thought you car guys would lik this link Another Road Trip

Mike Schulz License 393
    www.houseinspections.com

Mike S Guest

Very nice looking Jag!

Nice looking Jag
    has a few too many wheels for me though.
    (2 too many)
    but to each his own

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    Very nice looking Jag!
    Quote Originally Posted by ken horak View Post
    Nice looking Jag
    has a few too many wheels for me though.
    (2 too many)
    but to each his own

Mike and Ken,

Thanks.

Ken,

Would be a bit difficult to drive on only two wheels, but I've seen people who could do that.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I didn't have 'my next Jaguar' when the previous thread of cars was going on, but I picked one yesterday.

Only 62,868 miles (until I drove it 220 miles back home from the dealer). That's only about 2,500 miles per year average.

I'll be checking the mileage tomorrow when I fill it back up - expecting around 12 mpg.
    Grats! nice find.
    Welcome to "Lucas, the Prince of Darkness", designer of the electrical system in them old jags. Good Luck. Pretty car.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Mike and Ken,

Thanks.

Ken,

Would be a bit difficult to drive on only two wheels, but I've seen people who could do that.
    I prefer vehicles with 2 wheels - aka motorcycles