Default BASEMENT HORROR SHOW

had to share this with all------first time home owners----25 years old two kids--6 and 7---1999 home with what they call a finished basement---yeah from hell

first off the furnace access panels were restricted by a wall seven inches in front of it--so who knows the last time anyone even saw the filter---and there was a open ground outlet directly in front of furnace in drywall

next the finished floor was nailed or whatever right to basement floor---where is the floater----

every and i mean every outlet was upside down and either open ground or reverse polarity

last but not least---and i am mold certified {ESA}--the basement bath was rotted with mold--that affected the inner rooms and door trim--mold like substance--for sure

I KNOW HI ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO ADDRESS CODE VIOLATION--but i am not stevie wonder or helen keller---i told client to call city hall and pull the permits------

i this young couple ran and was i ever happy---and guess what the buyer agent thanked me

left out--this is a bank owned--u know as is---the listing {GIVE ME THE MONEY FOR DOING NOTHING} agent told me he had the house de-winterized----well it wasn't as usual around here--he told me just turn the water on ----well i called the buying agent and the listing slug and with the clients in front of me ---asked for a disclaimer on any damage when water came on---you know the rest big leak under dishwasher so now kitchen wood floor is ruined and likewiase basement ceiling underneath

this justifys me charging additional $50-75 when i hearbank owned property-----they suck--but thats life
    what do u think

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: BASEMENT HORROR SHOW

LEFT OUT THE FRAMING PICTURE

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Upside down outlets are not necessarily so.

Read somewhere recently that installing receptacles with the ground leg "up" was considered a safer way to install for consumer use. This due to accidental dropping of 'things' across a plug partially inserted. With the ground lug "up" the 'thing' dropped won't simply hit the hot/neutral and short out.

I'm sure Jerry P. can add to this with more history.

MAY BE SAFER--BUT THEY ARE STILL SUPPOSE TO WIRE THEM CORRECTLY--BLACK WIRE TO BRASS WHITE TO SILVER AND IT WOULD HELP TO HAVE A GROUND----JUST THINK THEY DID EVERYTHING FROM THE BACK OF A WHEATIES BOX

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    Upside down outlets are not necessarily so.

Read somewhere recently that installing receptacles with the ground leg "up" was considered a safer way to install for consumer use. This due to accidental dropping of 'things' across a plug partially inserted. With the ground lug "up" the 'thing' dropped won't simply hit the hot/neutral and short out.

I'm sure Jerry P. can add to this with more history.
    The idea of an upside down outlet is that if a piece of metal say a paper clip fell on top of the plug, the first thing it would hit would be the grounding prong also if the plug pulls out of the wall the last prong to come out of the outlet would be the ground. Many commercial projects are specked like this.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    MAY BE SAFER--BUT THEY ARE STILL SUPPOSE TO WIRE THEM CORRECTLY--BLACK WIRE TO BRASS WHITE TO SILVER AND IT WOULD HELP TO HAVE A GROUND----JUST THINK THEY DID EVERYTHING FROM THE BACK OF A WHEATIES BOX
    CHARLIE,

DID YOU KNOW THAT TYPING WITH THE ALL CAPS KEY ON IS CONSIDERED YELLING?

IT IS MUCH BETTER TO POST AS YOU DID IN YOUR ORIGINAL POST ... with the all caps key OFF and just talk normally, using the all caps key for HIGHLIGHTING words if needed.

Nolan is correct, there is no right side up or upside down for receptacles.

There are two trains of thought on this, both have some validity, but, TO ME, the 'ground up' is less safe. NOT "upside down" mind you, just "less safe".

Here are the two trains of thought on why each is better then the other.

Ground up: IF something which is conductive falls between the plug and the receptacle, it will land on the ground prong and not cause a problem. (That is, until whatever it is slips to one side, in which case it may very well ground fault out ground and hot. ).

Ground up: IF (it happens all the time) the cord weight pulls the plug part way out of the receptacle, you lose the ground connection FIRST as the top prong(s) pull out before the bottom prong(s) do. To ME, this *is not a good thing*.

Ground down: IF something which is conductive falls between the plug and the receptacle, it will land on the hot and neutral shorting them out and make big sparking noises and shoot fire and brimstone out (to hear the 'ground up' guys say it) ... kind of like what would happen with the ground up and the whatever falls to the ground / hot side as described above .

Ground down: IF (it happens all the time) the cord weight pulls the plug part way out of the receptacle, you lose the ground connection LAST as the top prong(s) pull out before the bottom prong(s) do. To ME, this *is a good thing*.

I.e, if something falls down between the plug and the receptacle, there is a really good chance of shorting out neutral / hot or grounding faulting out the ground / hot REGARDLESS of which way the plug is, sooooo ... very little is accomplished.

Whereas, if the ground prong is down, the likelihood of maintaining a ground and losing the 'hot' first is greatly improved. Ever notice the ground prong is LONGER? Yeah, that's so that the ground is connected FIRST and disconnected LAST, hence a good reason for "ground down".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

hey guys

i wasn't even concerned about the outlets--they were put in by bozo the clown--same guy who captured the furnace with out access to panels----and nailed the drywall framing to the floor---was more interested in your thoughts on the code and permit issue

we can put the outlets to bed--

thanks
    charlie

JERRY once i get typing i can't stop--i found out to late i have the caps on---it's a poor trait of mine

we can put the outlets to bed--
    That'll make a rough nights sleep for sure.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

---was more interested in your thoughts on the code and permit issue
    I KNOW HI ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO ADDRESS CODE VIOLATION--but i am not stevie wonder or helen keller---i told client to call city hall and pull the permits------
    That was always standard procedure for us.

We always recommended that to our client when the inspection was scheduled, it is amazing (okay, it was 'as expected') what 'had not been permitted' and the seller said 'nothing was done'.

Some would have me do it (even though it cost them a lot for me to do it), others would do it themselves. Others (most) never bothered with it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Charlie, it sounds like you've been inspecting Philadelphia rehab houses .

Michael Farha Guest

You called right brother!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mike Farha,
    Edmond, Oklahoma