Default how many neutral wires

hey can anyone tell me what the nec says about how many neutral wires you can jam into a buse screw

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: how many neutral wires

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

The State electrical inspector in my area has ignored that code for the past 15 or so years; he has always approved panels that may have 2 or 3 neutrals on the same terminal, or mixing neutrals and grounding conductors on the same terminal. I believe one of the first sections in the NEC has some clause that the local jurisdiction enforcer can supercede code (so I've been told). Now however that he has retired, I pity his replacement that has to re-train all the electricians in the area.

this house was built in 1974----how would you write it up--code didn't apply back then--recommend licenced electrician evaluate

Two conductors are NEVER allowed in the same terminal ... unless the terminal is listed and labeled for such.

Thus, unless you read on the instruction sheet where it tells what terminal is for what, etc., and it SPECIFICALLY stated 'neutral terminals suitable for 2 - 14 AWG to 10 AWG or something to that effect, that practice was not allowed back then either.

Later, to end the confusion, the code and UL both said 'no, never' to that.

Now, *IF* (that big "if) the manufacturer states on their label that it as suitable for that use, then, yeah, not much you can do about it other than advise your client 'In the intervening years, much as been learned about electricity and wiring, including installing two neutral conductors in one terminal, and all that learned knowledge and experience says *THAT IS NOT A GOOD THING* to do, so it NEEDS TO BE corrected anyway.'

Being as you likely did not find anything saying it was suitable for that use, it was, therefore, NOT suitable for that use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

saw nothing thanks jerry

Charlie ..Did you used to work for AT&T?

Michael Larson Guest

NEC 408.41 Each grounded conductor shall terminate within a panel board in an individual terminal that is not used for any other conductor

hey jeff

how ya doing yes i did

email me at cvanfleet56@aol.com

charlie