Jeff Beck Guest

Default should this chimney chase have a saddle?

House has about a 5/12 slope. There is no saddle or cricket above the chimney chase.

I suppose the "ears" on the flashing will divert water around the chimney chase but snow and ice can still build up against the brick chase and then cause moisture to back up under the shingles causing an ice dam.

The overall flashing looks strange to me, but I can't put my finger on what's wrong.

Should this be commented on?

Jeff Beck
    Foresight Home Inspection

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: should this chimney chase have a saddle?

Jeff,

If the chimney is 30" in. wide or over a cricket is required.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Going by the number of brick, and by the number of shingle tabs, it looks to be right around 2-1/2 feet (i.e., 30 inches).

Now add that funky flashing and you have over your 30 inches for sure, more like 36 inches.

Besides, that flashing does not appear to be properly done along its top.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Luce Guest

The counter flashing appears to be nailed/screwed to the roof. The counter flashing and step flashing (I'm questioning if the step flashing was installed) should be independent to allow movement.

Kevin Luce Guest

I was just looking at the brick a little closer and noticed that the top of the flashing doesn't match up with the mortar joints. So it looks like the sides of the flashing is secured to the roof and the top is just caulked.

When it comes down to it, have it replaced the proper way to eliminate/reduce the chance of future problems.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 03-04-2008 at 06:52 AM. Reason: changed fixed to the word replaced

Jeff Beck Guest

Thanks guys,
    Does the roof slope have any effect in determining if a saddle/cricket is required or is it strictly chimney chase width?

Jeff Beck
    Foresight Home Inspection

Jim Zborowski Guest

Like Billy said, if it's 30" or wider, it needs a cricket.

Kevin Luce Guest

IRC 2003 R905.2.8.3 Crickets and Saddles. A cricket or saddle shall be installed on the ridge side of any chimney greater than 30 inches (762 mm) wide. Cricket or saddle coverings shall be sheet metal or of the same materials as the roof covering.

IRC 2003 R905.2.8.4 Sidewall Flashing. Flashing against a vertical sidewall shall be by the step-flashing method.

Does the roof slope have any effect in determining if a saddle/cricket is required or is it strictly chimney chase width?
    Strictly the chimney case width. The slope of the roof determines how high the crickt/saddle needs to be installed. Refer to the IRC 2003 Table R1001.17 and Figure R1001.17.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 03-05-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added the table and figure numbers.