Thread: Mold Testing...

Randy King Guest

Default Mold Testing...

I was just curious if anyone know of a good mold testing product. I had a client call today that had mold in a part of their home and have cleaned and dried the area however, they want a surface test of the area to ensure that it is gone. Anyone with suggestions? Imput appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Mold Testing...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    I was just curious if anyone know of a good mold testing product. I had a client call today that had mold in a part of their home and have cleaned and dried the area however, they want a surface test of the area to ensure that it is gone. Anyone with suggestions? Imput appreciated.
    Tell them to contact an industrial hygienist for the testing. FYI, the company that did the clean-up should have performed clearance testing.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jon Randolph Guest

Many insurance companies exclude any mold testing. You may want to check on this with yours.

I use a local testing company and let them handle everything.

Greg D. Dames Guest

"Tell them to contact an industrial hygienist for the testing. FYI, the company that did the clean-up should have performed clearance testing."

The above statement is totally wrong. How many of you graded your own papers while in school. Did you Cheat?

The guy who does the clean-up should be looking for third party clearance to protect him. When I am called out I work for the home owner not the remediator. Heck I don't even recommend that the remediator be allowed to make the put back repairs. Too much of a ethical issue for some of these guys to struggle with. I also recommend that the property owner have an agreement with the remediatior that if the first clearance test fails that they will pick up the cost of the re-testing.

Regarding insurance coverage for mold it has always been an excluded peril under the insurance policy. It wasn't till the source of the mold was tied to a covered peril (water pipe break) that mold started to be included in the loss coverage. However the insurance companies got smart and started limiting the coverage or flat out not providing it at all to include, testing, remediation, clearance testing and put back costs. Now for the most part there is simply a limit in the policy $2,000 or $5,000 but it has to cover everything related to the mold as indicated above. I have never seen an insurance policy deny coverage for testing alone.

Greg D. Dames
    National ThermoGraphic Inspections
    Pacific Mold Assessment

Last edited by Greg D. Dames; 04-21-2008 at 08:23 AM.