Jerome W. Young Guest

Default non service equipment panels

from left to right you have a 200 amp disconnect and panel, center is a 200 amp disconnect for a non service equipment panel in the house, and the far right is a 400 amp main disconnect. The far left 200 amp panel with 200 amp disconnect had neutral and grounds connected. This is not correct and should be floated right?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: non service equipment panels

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    from left to right you have a 200 amp disconnect and panel, center is a 200 amp disconnect for a non service equipment panel in the house, and the far right is a 400 amp main disconnect. The far left 200 amp panel with 200 amp disconnect had neutral and grounds connected. This is not correct and should be floated right?
    I LIKE your title.

"from left to right you have a 200 amp disconnect and panel,

"The far left 200 amp panel with 200 amp disconnect had neutral and grounds connected. This is not correct and should be floated right?"

First, a question: Is the far left panel with a disconnect THE main service disconnect, or *one of* THE main service disconnects?

If "Yes', then the grounds and neutrals 'are required to be' bonded together.

If "No", then the grounds and neutrals 'are required to be' isolated from each other.

Where is THE main service disconnect, are there more than one?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome W. Young Guest

Well I assumed the 400 amp main at the far right of the picture was the "main disconnect" and all others should be floated, but maybe this hiome has 600 amps?

Jerome,

Could you tell (from the conductors) what 'apparently' fed what?

IF that 400 amp disconnect on the right is indeed THE main service disconnect, then, yes, the neutrals would need to be isolated from ground in the other two.

Were the conductors exiting the 400 amp main on the far right the same size-type-color as those entering and feeding the far left disconnect/panel?

Was there another set of conductors exiting the far right 400 amp main which were the same size-type-color as those entering the center 200 amp disconnect?

If so, then, yes, the far right disconnect would be "the service disconnect" and the other would be (as your title says) "non service equipment", and, indeed, the neutrals would need to be isolated from ground.

I was asking because, with three disconnects, it could be entirely possible to have all three as 'service disconnects'. Meaning you would have needed to have tried to trace the feeders out to verify if one (the right one) fed the other two, or, if all three were 'service equipment disconnects'.

That would be the question, and that answer would be your answer.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Is that some type of generator setup. It looks like the throw would switch between panels?

I have asked dummer questions so be easy on me..............J

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

It looks like the owner might have been an electrician or an industrial type that brought home some panels.

Was there a detached shop?
    I can't imagine more than 400amp service there and most likely 200 amp service with generator mods like Mike said.

On that cluster it would be best to remove all covers and study them for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    It looks like the owner might have been an electrician or an industrial type that brought home some panels.
    While those switch types disconnects are not common on residences, they are sometimes used on large residential services are they are less expensive.

I can't imagine more than 400amp service there
    Bruce,

Guess you are not inspecting the right houses, then?

I know from previous posts by others that I am not the only one who has seen 600 amp AND LARGER services to homes.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I know from previous posts by others that I am not the only one who has seen 600 amp AND LARGER services to homes.

4 x 200 amp on 2 year old 2,000 sf home.

GE Panel & Circuit Breakers.

Added PDF File for close up.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: pdf C.pdf (33.0 KB, 28 views)
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 03-05-2008 at 09:50 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

That is actually a confusing label on that main, it is 240V 200amp only.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    While those switch types disconnects are not common on residences, they are sometimes used on large residential services are they are less expensive.

Bruce,

Guess you are not inspecting the right houses, then?

Look at the rest of the picture in the original post and the age of the panels.
    Still think it is 600 amp house? Could be, but I doubt it.

Here's a 600 amp setup near me:

Bruce,

Your photo is that of a nicely done 600 amp service, however, in Jerome's photo ...

It *could* be that they brought the service entrance conductors in to *each* disconnect, making each a main ... "could be".

I am trying to ask the questions so that Jerome can verify that, or, be able to verify that for the next time.

It also *might not* be anything more than a 400 amp service.

*I* seriously doubt that is a transfer switch for a generator. It looks nothing like a transfer switch - it looks like a "fused" (as in 'with fuses') disconnecting switch.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

What's in the rectangle panel and cover panel below those 3 boxes in question?

Why would they have a fused disconnect then a small panel with a main breaker and a panel next to it with a main breaker?

Confused mind would like to know..........

Seems to be allot of power for 2000 sq. foot home.

Maybe the owner was a electrician and said Hmmmmmmmm this fused disconnect will work just as well as a transfer switch.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    4 x 200 amp on 2 year old 2,000 sf home.

GE Panel & Circuit Breakers.

Added PDF File for close up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    That is actually a confusing label on that main, it is 240V 200amp only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post

Seems to be allot of power for 2000 sq. foot home.
    Mike,

The 2000 sq ft home was from my incorrect post, as Bruce pointed out it is a one piece 200 amp breaker.

I don't think Jerome Stated the sq. footage of the home on the thread he started.

As to confused minds, I'm with ya.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

The large disconnect is probably the main incoming. The large rectangular cabinet below it might be the CT cabinet with meter. The long rectangular cabinet under the other two disconnects / panel is the splitter or cable trough coming off the CT cabinet to feed the panels above it. The far left panel is likely the main breaker panel for the house and the smaller disconnect in the middle of it all is likely a disconnect to a seperate sub-panel or shop or external building or A/C or whatever.

If that were the case, the neutral / ground would need to be isolated at all panels except the main 400 amp disconnect.