Default Drip Edge Variant

Last summer there was a discussion thread on the merits of drip edge flashing. I am seeing locally a lot of DYI type of flashing incuded in aluminum fascia wrapping. The aluminum wrap is started behind the fascia, wrapped under, up, and started and taken back over the top. BUT, instead of doing a standard finish on the wrap, the aluminum is bent back at an acute angle to meet the bottom of the shingle overhang. There is no other drip edge flashing. I personally don't see where this would do the same job of as a good HD preformed flashing as intended by the shingle manufaturers and IRC 2006.

The picture shows the wrap job from the front. The gutter had not been installed when this construction inspection was made. Comments?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Default Re: Drip Edge Variant

Cutting corners so to speak.

I would prefer galvanized drip edge, myself.

Depends how you look at it. A Drip edge is not designed to create the Drip but to hold the shingle out away from the facia without drooping. Preferably to be used with a gutter.
    But the overlap of the shingles on the top of the nailed section of the drip edge also adds drainage integrity.

Stuart,

What you described is a 'water trap specially designed to rot fascias out'.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

My thoughts exactly, Jerry.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Richard Rushing Guest

Agreed.

Not only will it eventually cause rot, the way the corner-returns are cut, this will cause the lower course to lift.

RR