Default Water Heater Catch Pan Drain

I would appreciate any feedback on this. Today during an inspection I found a water heater in garage (proper height off floor and protected) with a catch pan. It was A. O. Smith power vent 74 gal. Condensate line from power ventilator, TPR valve and line from thermal expansion valve both emptied into catch pan. Drain line ran directly onto garage floor, garage floor had no floor drain. I highly doubt if this is proper installation but can't find documentation to back it up. Thanks, I really love having a a forum like this to go to in these situations.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

Default Re: Water Heater Catch Pan Drain

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rees View Post
    I would appreciate any feedback on this. Today during an inspection I found a water heater in garage (proper height off floor and protected) with a catch pan. It was A. O. Smith power vent 74 gal. Condensate line from power ventilator, TPR valve and line from thermal expansion valve both emptied into catch pan. Drain line ran directly onto garage floor, garage floor had no floor drain. I highly doubt if this is proper installation but can't find documentation to back it up. Thanks, I really love having a a forum like this to go to in these situations.
    Is their anyway that the interior of the home could be damaged if water flowed from the pan?

It really should drain to the outdoors or to an indirect waste line per the codes (IRC 2801.5.2 UPC 508.4) but many areas, mine included do not enforce this. In my area as long as the interior of the home will not be damaged the pan can drain to the floor of the garage. The TPRV should not empty into the pan either, but again it is allowed in some areas. It all depends on the AHJ. The expansion valve line should not terminate inside as it is designed to leak or seep water as needed.

Clear as mud!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

For California inspectors: CPC 2007 -

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Thanks Scott and Jerry I appreciate your help.

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)

- P2801.5 Required pan.
    Wherewater heaters or hotwater storage tanks are installed in locations where leakage of the tanks or connections will cause damage, the tank orwater heater shall be installed in a galvanized steel pan having a minimum thickness of 24 gage (0.016 inch) (0.4 mm) or other pans for such use. Listed pans shall comply with CSA LC3.

- - P2801.5.1 Pan size and drain.
    The pan shall be not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) deep and shall be of sufficient size and shape to receive all dripping or condensate from the tank or water heater. The pan shall be drained by an indirect waste pipe having a minimum diameter of 3/4 inch (19 mm). Piping for safety pan drains shall be of those materials listed in Table P2904.5.

- - P2801.5.2 Pan drain termination.
    The pan drain shall extend full-size and terminate over a suitably located indirect waste receptor or shall extend to the exterior of the building and terminate not less than 6 inches (152 mm) and not more than 24 inches (610 mm) above the adjacent ground surface.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

imported_John Smith Guest

My Code Check book for Plumbing indicates that the TPRV may discharge into the pan. Reference Figure 53 on page 21. Referenced code IRC 2803.6.1.

If I may update Jerry P's IRC code to the 2006:
    IRC – 2006 - P2803.6.1- Requirements for discharge pipe. The discharge piping serving a pressure-relief valve, temperature-relief valve or combination valve shall:
    1. Not be directly connected to the drainage system.
    2. Discharge through an air-gap located in the same room as the water heater.
    3. Not be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the Valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.
    4. Serve a single relief device and shall not connect to piping serving any other relief device or equipment..
    5. Discharge to the floor, to an indirect waste receptor or to the outdoors. Where discharging to the out-doors in areas subject to freezing, discharge piping shall be first piped to an indirect waste receptor through an air gap located in a conditioned area.
    6. Discharge in a manner that does not cause personal injury or structural damage.
    7. Discharge to a termination point that is readily observable by the building occupants.
    8. Not be trapped.
    9. Be installed to flow by gravity.
    10. Not terminate more than 6 inches (152mm) above the floor or waste receptor.
    11. Not have a threaded connection at the end of the piping.
    12. Not have valves or tee fittings.
    13. Be constructed of those materials listed in Section P2904.5 or materials tested, rated and approved for such use in accordance with ASME A112.4.1

Also, here is the 2006 Code Check illustration of a water heater referred by John.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry, the code check book I am looking at indicates "second edition". The copyright date on it is 2004. The illustration I referenced doesnt look like your attachment.

Richard Rushing Guest

Yo Import... the code book that J.Mc referenced is the latest to be adopted about.

rr

Seeing that I need to buy the latest edition of Code Check, I was looking at their web site (the new all in one looks like a good choice for me), and noticed that in their sample, they are still quoting that 06 IRC allows discharge to WH pan. (2803.6.1).

Is Code Check quoting this wrong?

In the PDF its 8 of 11
    http://www.codecheck.com/images/CC5thEdSample.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Seeing that I need to buy the latest edition of Code Check, I was looking at their web site (the new all in one looks like a good choice for me), and noticed that in their sample, they are still quoting that 06 IRC allows discharge to WH pan. (2803.6.1).

In the PDF its 8 of 11
    It must have been changed as that is not in the new Code Check Complete, which is what I would buy.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Richard Stanley Guest

2. Discharge through an air-gap located in the same room as the water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post

In the PDF its 8 of 11
    I would also caution that we are often looking at existing stuff, not new stuff. Consequently it is held to the requirements for when it was constructed/installed. When possible, I let people know that something does not meet current requirements, but did meet the requirements of the time. I am not specifically referring to the above question, just a general note.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Alquist View Post
    I would also caution that we are often looking at existing stuff, not new stuff. Consequently it is held to the requirements for when it was constructed/installed. When possible, I let people know that something does not meet current requirements, but did meet the requirements of the time. I am not specifically referring to the above question, just a general note.

And, just generally speaking ... ... the newer code changes have resulted from damage and/or deaths and injuries caused by the 'old way it was done'.

*Time* is not a safety device, it is a 'failure device' ticking toward that failure. Nothing lasts forever, and *Time* makes sure of that.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com