Chris Parker Guest

Default Ready for the NHIE? Newby ?'s

Heres a link to my first post so you folks know a little about me and where I am and such:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...saying-hi.html

Question#1: When do you know you've studied enough for the National exam?
    I think I mentioned that I completed the AHIT home study course in the linked post.
    I'm just a little freaked out about throwing away the cost of the exam just so I can learn I'm not ready to take it yet.
    Question #2: When you first started inspecting homes were their areas you were NOT completely certain you were up to snuff in and therefore either passed on inspections that held those areas or told them straight out" Look I know very little about this kind of heating/cooling/ roofing( whatever) system , I'd suggest you call in an expert to evaluate it." Maybe offer a discount ?
    I'm trying to get my head around this whole thing as I make the transition from construction/remodeling to inspecting. I keep finding myself concentrating on how a problem should be fixed.

If this is in the wrong forum sorry . This is the only one that mentioned frustration so I thought it might fit in.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Ready for the NHIE? Newby ?'s

Chris
    I would ask you this, "would you plunge into a lake or ocean if you didn't know how to swim? Both self confidence and self doubt produce an odor for which smart agents and sophisticated buyers of real estate recognize in a heartbeat. Keep studying and go for as many ride-alongs as you can get and pick the successful inspectors whenever possible. Keep your mouth tightly shut when on them but ask all the questions you can to and from the inspection. Observe, read everything on this BB, build a building code library and check to see if your local community college has any bldg. code and/or construction courses. It may be the best bang for the buck in this profession as most of such classes are taught by local bldg. and real estate inspectors. You’ll know when you're ready, trust me.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    Question#1: When do you know you've studied enough for the National exam?
    There are far to many wise-asses on this board to ask a question like that.
    The answer, of course, is "when you pass the exam".

I will say this. I have had a pretty good record at passing multiple choice exams throughout my life, if I do say so. But I was not sure I had passed the national exam when I was finished with it. Happily, I did pass. It was not an easy exam.

Hey Chris,

I think that you had most of the answers to your questions in your introductory post. The questions that you have asked are common and will have different answers for just about everyone that ask them.

Even though you have a background in construction that might not help all of the time. Many times folks who have worked in the building trades have learned how to do their trade from another person, but they might have been taught how to do it the wrong way.

Most of us have heard this statement before "I have always done it that way!", but they have not been doing it right! With the NHIE every question will be asking for the correct way to do something.

You need to know the basics about:
    Electrical; panels; circuits; breakers; types of systems (old and new); etc.
    Plumbing: types of pipes; drain designs; types of fixtures; water heaters, pumps and wells; etc.
    Structure; types of residental construction framing; basic framing; etc.
    Foundations; types of foundations; foundation problems with each type; how to read cracks;etc.
    Roofs; types of roofs and materials; how each type of roof is put on a home; problems with each type of roof; flashing and flashing problems
    Cladding; types of cladding's; problems associated with each; flashing; etc.
    HVAC; ALL types of systems; how to recognize what system is what; problems with each type of system; fireplace problems; safety issues with HVAC and fireplaces; chimney issues; etc.
    Common Safety Problems and issues around and in the home

Could have some reporting questions, best business practice questions, etc.

Hope this helps.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

ExamPrep.biz sells a review package for home inspectors. I bought it several years ago for $29. I just checked their web site and it is now $14.99 + $4.60 shipping.

Here is their sales speak:
    "This is a NEW 2007 Licensed & Copyright protected Home Inspector Exam Prep CD.
    It contains over 1,700 questions and answers. A really cool program that installs from a single executable file. It is designed for the individual who needs specialized training software for a specific period of time. Just pop in the CD and you're ready to learn. The Home Inspector Exam Prep software is specially formatted to provide a quick and easy method to learn course exam material. The Home Inspector Exam Prep Software CD contains 2 modes for learning."

For $20 it is a good tool to see if you are familiar with the material. It also helps you get used to a similar kind of question they be asking you.

Of course NHIE offers a sample test for $50. This would give you a chance to try it out for less than the cost of the full test.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Heres a link to my first post so you folks know a little about me and where I am and such:
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...saying-hi.html

Question#1:---I'm not ready to take it yet.
    Question #2:----told them straight out" Look I know very little about this kind of heating/cooling/ roofing( whatever) system ,
    I keep finding myself concentrating on how a problem should be fixed.

Chris
    Chris,

Did you Study and Pass the material? If Yes you should know it.

I reviewed the material over a weekend ( didn't 2nd guess my first answer) and passed.
    Either I know it or I don't attitude.

Carry the Code Check Spiral Book with you. If you don't know about something your looking at take a bunch of photos and find out Before You Write The Report. NO ON SITE REPORTS.

We're Generalist. If a 10 year old Kid can't operate it. On Off call in the professional.
    They fix we observe and Report what we saw.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Defintely study the Code Check spiral books. Even though the test is not a code test, there will be code-based questions in it. Another good prep book is the Carson and Dunlop HI book (can't remember the name) and also "Real Estate Home Inspection, Mastering the Profession". These are all good prep books.

Chris Parker Guest

Is the NHIE a " closed book" test or can you have reference mateial with you?
    I assume its a closed book exam.
    The "no on site reports" thing sure does make sense to me now didn't at first but does now.The dvd that came with the course I purchased has the guy filling in the ACTUAL report as he does the inspection then hands it to the customer.
    Do most of you folks do an online report that your customers can access via there home computer or do you use a paper report you give to them at a later time after its written up and codes are referenced and such?

Is the NHIE a " closed book" test
    I assume its a closed book exam.
    Do most of you folks do an online report
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes (email in pdf form)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

... codes are referenced and such?
    We're not "code" inspectors. Many HI's are also ICC "code certified" but typically it is not wise to "quote" code in a report. References are made, but one must be careful.

NHIE is not a "killer". It is a good and all-around comprehensive exam that tests your general knowledge-base.

I was part of a team of HIs who were in Chicago last fall to take the "new" NHIE exam that was released in January-2008. This was part of the evaluation to help set the pass/fail score for the new exam. I don't particularly like to take tests anymore (will be 58 years old this year), but it is and was a great experience.

I too was reluctant to take the test. Used every practice exam I could find on web. Some free, some not. Take the practice tests, research every answer you can't correctly answer off the top of your head. I kept the Code Check books and the course books from the ITA accelerated course on hand during the tests to look up answers as I went. I agree that the exam is a general knowledge test. A LOT of questions may have MOST CORRECT answers. None of the choices are 100% right and more than one choice may be partially correct. The correct answer is the most correct one, according to someone's opinion. Takes some experience, some book knowledge, and a lot of common sense.

Practice and take the test. It's pass/fail and YOU get a score. The criteria is "Did you pass". I'll never disclose my score but I did pass on first try.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    I too was reluctant to take the test. Used every practice exam I could find on web. Some free, some not. Take the practice tests, research every answer you can't correctly answer off the top of your head. I kept the Code Check books and the course books from the ITA accelerated course on hand during the tests to look up answers as I went. I agree that the exam is a general knowledge test. A LOT of questions may have MOST CORRECT answers. None of the choices are 100% right and more than one choice may be partially correct. The correct answer is the most correct one, according to someone's opinion. Takes some experience, some book knowledge, and a lot of common sense.

Practice and take the test. It's pass/fail and YOU get a score. The criteria is "Did you pass". I'll never disclose my score but I did pass on first try.
    The score on the NHIE can range from 500 to 800, nobody has ever scored an 800 on the exam. Most that pass will score between 500 & 725. The score really does not mean much as the exam is a Pass or Fail exam. The reason for the score is that some states required it, for whatever reason. The scoring method is weighted. Some questions have a higher value(more difficult questions) than other questions on the exam so two individuals could have the same score but one missed more questions than the other.

On the NHIE you are to select the "Best" answer for the question that is being asked. All of the questions/answers are not opinion based. They are all based on published references and are not opinions. If you every have a question that you think is wrong you can challenge that question, a process is in place if this happens.

Reading Stuarts post, I want to emphasize that the NHIE is not an open book exam. I think Stuart was talking about having his study material at hand when he took the various practice exams.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 02-16-2008 at 03:48 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Chris Parker Guest

I appreciate you folks looking out for me and making sure I understand as much as I can about the exam.
    I'm taking it in Indianapolis this Saturday. I'm about studied out so I guess its time.
    Chris

Jonathan Clevenger Guest

Is there a reason other than State Licensing, and to see how much you know for taking the NHIE? (My state does not have Licensing)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Clevenger View Post
    Is there a reason other than State Licensing, and to see how much you know for taking the NHIE? (My state does not have Licensing)
    My state doesn't have licensing either, but it does have a law requiring home inspectors to belong to one of the national organizations. The one I chose to join, NAHI, requires passing the exam, among other things, for membership. NOTE TO EVERYONE AND BRIAN: This is not an invitation for a flame war about the various national organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Clevenger View Post
    State licensing is the big reason, but many also take it just so that they can say that they have passed the National Home Inspector Exam. Many look at it like a personal achievement or accomplishment to pass it and use it in their advertising.

It is also part of the membership requirement for ASHI and AII.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ken Bates Guest

During a freshman orientation, a Dean advised us to put our efforts into actually learning the material rather than trying to focus on passing the exams.

He said, " if you know the material (subject) you will pass the exam"

Disce ut semper victuris
    Vive ut cras moritorus

Chris Parker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bates View Post
    During a freshman orientation, a Dean advised us to put our efforts into actually learning the material rather than trying to focus on passing the exams.

He said, " if you know the material (subject) you will pass the exam"

Disce ut semper victuris
    Vive ut cras moritorus

Evidently I know the material , I passed it last weekend.