Patrick Norton Guest

Default Air Conditioning in Winter

Just did an inspection today on a house that had three central air conditioners. Today was 25 degrees F and I was outside looking at the outside condensing unit and it came on. I have never heard of this but apparently you can have the systems equipped to be able to run in the winter.

I guess it's too much of a pain in the ass to open a window or wait for the house to cool with the thermostat set lower?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Air Conditioning in Winter

Patrick,

Sounds like they had heat pumps installed.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Patrick Norton Guest

Nope, there must be some type of heater system to prevent the coolant from condensing. I will be checking with an HVAC contractor to find out what the system is about, not that many people would ever want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
    Nope, there must be some type of heater system to prevent the coolant from condensing. I will be checking with an HVAC contractor to find out what the system is about, not that many people would ever want one.
    Could be a Scroll compressor. My wife had ours on last night during a dinner party. Fireplace was on for ambiance and with six couples and a few bottles of wine it was getting a little warm for her. So instead of opening a window and allowing the 23f degree air to flow in she turns on the A/C. Not a problem as we have a Scroll compressor.

Momma was happy and that is all that matters!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

MaMa Mount Guest

Mr. Patterson,

Your wife must be going through the flashes that I know all to well.

Take good care of her.

MaMa

Can't recall the manufacturer(s), but some heat pumps have a gas burner in the condenser. Most all heat pumps are only effective til about 32*F. With a small gas burner the system is able to operate below 32*F.

Same thing happened to me in the winter, I was inspecting the condensor unit (house had gas heat) and it came on. I was thinking WTF and then the client came around the corner and said he wanted to hear it run so he had turned it on.

Sort of reminds me of the time about 20 years ago, I was having an outdoor spa installed. The guy finished up some work under the corner of the 3' tall deck and walked away. I got down there and was looking at the control panel etc. and he turned on the main breaker. The fumes from the PVC glue he had been using exploded because the heater contactor pulled in and made the normal arc. I banged my head coming out of there.

Last edited by Bruce King; 03-09-2008 at 04:16 PM.

Kevin VanderWarf Guest

Is it maybe, a dual fuel (gas furnace w/ heatpump).
    You wouldn't think A.C. would fair very well in that temp.

John S. Guest

Air Conditioning units are used all the time in colder climates to keep computer server rooms cool.

A heat pump with a low ambient control will a heat pump to cool in temperatures down to zero degrees. A crankcase heater protects the compressor from liquid refrigerant by preventing the vapor from condensing inside the compressor.