Michael P. O'Handley Guest

Post Licensing Bill in Washington State

Hi All,

For those of you who haven't heard yet, constituent bill ESSB6606, a bill to license home inspectors, has cleared both the senate and the house in Olympia and should make it to the governor's desk before close of session next week.

If the governor signs it, and if funding can be found for ramp up, Washington state home inspectors will have about 18 months to get their ducks in a row while the interim board that's appointed by the governor works out all of the details involving criterial for HI course acceptance, SOP's, C of E, disciplinary measures, etc..

Cost is projected to be between $600 and $800 every two years. The bean counters in Olympia say that initially, it will be closer to $800 but upon renewal of license two years later, inspectors should be paying somewhere around $600 for the next two years - possibly less if there turn out to be far more inspectors operating in the state than the 1500 that the Department of Licensing believes are operating there now.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Michael P. O'Handley; 03-08-2008 at 08:28 PM.
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Licensing Bill in Washington State

Hi Mike,
    We are coming up on our two years of licensing in TN. It will be interesting how they handle the continuing education and checking on insurance. We have gone thru a bunch of commissioners, so they can't seem to keep anyone in the position.

It also does not appear they really care about unlicensed inspectors, or even handling complaints, since they are never listed on the State web site. They just don't seem to care about enforcement.

It also will be interesting to see how the fees go, and if the program can pay for itself.

The interesting thing is...they are very hard on getting continuing education approved when we try to put on a class or seminar. They really make us jump thru some hoops.

Hope it goes better in WA. for you. Hope to get back to Seattle for another visit - maybe this year.
    Jack

Michael P. O'Handley Guest

Post Re: Licensing Bill in Washington State

Hi Jack,

Good to hear from you. If you get out this way again, let me know well in advance so I can take you out to lunch this time.

If I understand this bill correctly, unlike Tennessee, with the bill here, there is no full-blown grandfathering for inspectors who've been in the business for a set time and have done X-number of inspections. Here, those in the business for less than two years and who haven't done at least 100 fee-paid inspections, will be required to get 120 hours of approved education, 40-hours of supervised training (essentially a week of accompanying another inspector, I suppose), and then they'll have to take a state-approved test. They'll have until July 2010 to meet that requirement.

Those already in the business for more than two years who can prove that they've done at least 100-fee paid inspections, will be required to take a state-approved test and will have until Sept. 2009 to accomplish that. Everyone will be required to test, regardless of experience.

It will separate the pest inspectors from home inspectors (Since 1991, home inspectors here have been required to be licensed as pest guys here and weren't given the option.). Home inspectors will be allowed to comment about deterioration and rot and pest conducive conditions, but they'll be required to refer bug issues to a bug guy. If a guy who's principle business is home inspection wants to do bug inspections as an extra revenue stream, he'll have to spend the extra $45, take the pest test, and get a pest license in addition to the home inspector license, and meet the state's pest license bond/E&O requirement. If a guy who's primary business is as a bug guy wants to also do home inspections, he'll need to meet all of the requirements of a home inspector and get a home inspectors license in addition to the pest inspector's license he's currently carrying.

If it goes through, there is no E & O requirement. What you're seeing in the bill notes is a summarization of the public testimony before the house; the house did not amend it to add an E & O or bond requirement, although that's what the pest guys and some lawyer who's making a business out of suing home inspectors wanted.

The board is made up of 7 home inspectors, one who is supposed to be an instructor at an approved course - whatever that will be.

If they can find the funding for it, they'll probably have enforcement to a point. They enforce the pest laws here when they get a complaint, but they don't generally go out looking for violators. I understand it all depends on funding.

Guess we'll see.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Last edited by Michael P. O'Handley; 03-09-2008 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Hi Mike,
    We are coming up on our two years of licensing in TN. It will be interesting how they handle the continuing education and checking on insurance. We have gone thru a bunch of commissioners, so they can't seem to keep anyone in the position.

It also does not appear they really care about unlicensed inspectors, or even handling complaints, since they are never listed on the State web site. They just don't seem to care about enforcement.

It also will be interesting to see how the fees go, and if the program can pay for itself.

The interesting thing is...they are very hard on getting continuing education approved when we try to put on a class or seminar. They really make us jump thru some hoops.

Hope it goes better in WA. for you. Hope to get back to Seattle for another visit - maybe this year.
    Jack
    Well, the state of TN will investigate complaints. I know this first hand as I had a complaint filed on me by a seller(builder) because my client the buyer did not buy his home. The main part that the builder is mad about is that I said something about the 1/2 drywall on the garage ceiling and a piece of 1/4" plywood he used for the attic hatch cover.

I have spent several hours responding to the complaint over the past couple of months. Every time I respond it goes back to the complainant and they comment/respond and then it comes back to me. Kind of like a game of tennis! Now I have just served what I hope is the final volley with a letter from my client saying that he did not buy the home because of the 31 items I found and that his wife told him she did not like the way the builder was treating them. It is now in their court, so to speak!

Even the guy at the state said it is not right but that they have to process every complaint. My question was when does the processing end!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Scott,
    I was referring to the fact that I have yet to see a violation posted on the State web site. While they may respond to complaints against licensed inspectors, they don't seem to sanction them. I can also give first hand experience with trying to report an unlicensed home inspector, 1. advertising in the phone book, 2. advertising on the web, and 3. doing inspections without a license. They just don't seem to care if I have not hired them.
    JF

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Scott,
    I was referring to the fact that I have yet to see a violation posted on the State web site. While they may respond to complaints against licensed inspectors, they don't seem to sanction them. I can also give first hand experience with trying to report an unlicensed home inspector, 1. advertising in the phone book, 2. advertising on the web, and 3. doing inspections without a license. They just don't seem to care if I have not hired them.
    JF
    That is a good point, I guess I'm just so miffed about this complaint I just had to vent! As you said the turnover in that office has been more like folks working at a car wash.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com