Exclamation Michigan Licensing

The Michigan Association of Home Inspectors is anticipating that legislation to license home inspectors in Michigan will be introduced in the Michigan House, possibly as early as next month. If you are a home inspector in Michigan and want to know more, contact MichAHI at MichAHI - Michigan Association of Home Inspectors and join the association. An application is available at the association web site. Membership is as little as $50.00 annual dues.

Political conditions are currently ripe for legislation licensing home inspectors to pass the house, and possibly the senate. All Michigan home inspectors should take an interest and support the work that the association has been doing in Lansing to protect your profession. The current circumstances in New York State should be a wake-up call.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance
    Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Exclamation Re: Michigan Licensing

For all Michigan home inspectors, a brief update on the fall-out from the weekend fiasco in Lansing. Home inspection services will not be subject to the new "service tax". However, preliminary information strongly suggests that adjunct services and consulting will fall under the service tax umbrella.

Radon testing, well testing, septic inspections, mold and environmental testing, construction consulting, and litigation consulting all appear to fall under the new service tax. If you are so inclined, you may contact our governor, and express your opinion on how this will "help Michigan grow".

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Mark Mustola Guest

Default Re: Michigan Licensing

Randy what are you basing your statement on? How can well, radon, mold testing etc. be included in the tax but not the home inspection? Logic says it will be all or nothing. If we have to go to the trouble of collecting sales tax then it would be easier to collect on the total inspection fee not just parts of it.

Post Re: Michigan Licensing

Mark,

My statement is based on reading the content of the bill as passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, and ancillary information referred to in the definitions of the bill. The trick may likely be in the interpretation of the fine print by the treasury department. That is, unless the legislature makes more changes. Logic, unfortunately, does not dictate legislation or enforcement. We may not really know how this will all wash out for several months. MichAHI is currently working on this issue. We were successful in keeping home inspections off the list. However, when the bill was passed, "consulting service" was defined using census bureau occupational codes. Several of those codes include the type of adjunct work many home inspectors perform. We would like to see those codes dropped from the definition of "consulting services". For some reason, it does not seem like leadership in Lansing is interested in making anything easy these days. This will not likely be an exception. Stay tuned.

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Patrick Norton Guest

Hello Randy. Do you have an update on the status of possible licensing in 2008?

Pat Norton

Exclamation Re: Michigan Licensing

I do now. There is a bill in the works which is not very good. There is a Michigan Association of Home Inspectors General Membership meeting tomorrow at Baker's of Milford (web search them) at 6:00 p.m.. It may be a standing-room-only crowd, but feel free to join us. There will be some discussion of what is happening with licensing.

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Patrick Norton Guest

Randy, I am busy Thursday night and will not be able to make the meeting. Hopefully there will be an update on the Michahi website after the meeting.

Thanks.

Patrick,

We had a good meeting. More details will be coming via e-mail, and will be posted on the MichAHI Google Group. You can also check the MichAHI Blog. I believe there are links on the MichAHI web site (www.michahi.org).

MichAHI had a busy year and many successes in 2007, so we had some good news to report. Watch you e-mail for additional MichAHI specific information. Thanks for maintaining your MichAHI membership - it helps us protect the profession in Michigan!

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Political conditions are currently ripe for legislation licensing home inspectors to pass the house, and possibly the senate.

Licensing? I have it on good authority that you would be better off sticking your dick in the pickle slicer!

Oh My Gosh Joe B.
    I haven't seen any posts by you here, or on the nacho enquire, in a long time, and was thinking just yesterday, What happend to Joe B.

All things considered I'd rather be licenced than have my pickle slicer dicked around with!

Question Re: Michigan Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Licensing? I have it on good authority that you would be better off sticking your dick in the pickle slicer!
    Perhaps you misunderstood the point. A select few in Michigan want to license home inspectors, and there is current activity to do so. Certainly, the hope is that if it happens, it will actually benefit the consumer and the home inspector. So far, that would place Michigan in the minority - if that type of licensing bill became law.

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    Perhaps you misunderstood the point. A select few in Michigan want to license home inspectors, and there is current activity to do so. Certainly, the hope is that if it happens, it will actually benefit the consumer and the home inspector. So far, that would place Michigan in the minority - if that type of licensing bill became law.

No I got your point, perhaps you misunderstood my response. Licensing solves nothing.

To date there are no HI licensing laws that benefit both the consumer & the home inspector and in the end yours will be no different.

No I got your point, perhaps you misunderstood my response. Licensing solves nothing.
    Wrong! It stops self regulating bodies from overseeing themselves and becoming unaccountable to the public and its members.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Wrong! It stops self regulating bodies from overseeing themselves and becoming unaccountable to the public and its members.

What you call accountability is in reality merely a nuisance tax foisted on our profession with no other significant benefit whatsoever. I am simply thankful that your Canadian viewpoint holds no real weight here in the United States of America.

Joe,

Who regulates the unregulated? Can you be assured your self regulating, self overseeing body is acting correctly? Judging by the actions and goings on in NACHI, anything goes and you are part of the problem for condoning it by not speaking up.

You can try and fool some of us, but you are not going to fool all of us, and least of all me.

Cheers,

Deleted Account Guest

You can try and fool some of us, but you are not going to fool all of us, and least of all me.

Just be glad you weren't born an American, no doubt all of that implied freedom would have driven you to drink far more than you do as a law & order Canadian.

Just be glad you weren't born an American, no doubt all of that implied freedom would have driven you to drink far more than you do as a law & order Canadian.
    That shows you how little you understand of the world outside of your backyard. Canada is losing the war on crime because of political correctness introduced by the right leaning liberal establishment.

Cheers,

Deleted Account Guest

Canada is losing the war on crime because of political correctness introduced by the right leaning liberal establishment.

Right leaning liberal? Here in America we have no political equivalent, all our liberals lean left and we like it that way.

My guess is your so-called war on crime is being lost because you have no 2nd Amendment rights.

BANG!

Here in America ---, all our liberals

war on crime is being lost because you have no 2nd Amendment rights.

Coming to Your Neighborhood Soon.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

To date there are no HI licensing laws that benefit both the consumer & the home inspector and in the end yours will be no different.
    If that turns out to be true, then at least we can say that we tried to make it worth-while. As to licensing not solving anything, look around. It is obviously solving something, because it is happening a lot. Just what it solves perhaps may not be in the home inspector's or consumers best interest. From what is out there, licensing seems to solve a lot of problems for real estate agents (which, buy the way, are not "licensed realtors" - there is no such thing as a "licensed realtor" - they are licensed real estate agents or licensed real estate brokers; and it might be interesting to note that in most states, licensed attorneys are by default also licensed real estate brokers, so you see where the movement to license might originate)

Add to that the encouragement to litigate by the design of many state licensing laws, and you have no net positive in almost every state licensing law in the Union.

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

May is the month for Michigan home inspectors. Please join MichAHI in our efforts to avoid poor legislation being introduced in Lansing. Right now, legislation is being drafted that will license home inspectors. For more information, check MichAHI - Michigan Association of Home Inspectors.

Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com