Thread: A new one on me

Default A new one on me

I inspected a POC foreclosure today. Basement fireplace with gas logs that didn't light (client tried to light them).
    Right off the bat I found the damper wouldn't open even after pushing pretty hard on the lever - and no damper stop installed. No manf.tags for the gas logs . No gas shut off valve found anywhere except at gas meter.

Ok, so I have a pretty good list to write down in the report.

I've been on the roof and in the attic. Got more to write down about the chimney crown, etc.

I'm on my 2nd trip thru the basement when it dawns on me, that the fireplace does not seem to line up with the chimney. So I grab my ladder and pop up some ceiling tiles. OMG!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: A new one on me

I'm in love. Do you have the contractors name. I've been wondering about some creative way to file a huge insurance claim.
    Nice catch! I'm sure you'll be getting some good referrals from that one.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Cool Re: A new one on me

Great catch Jack! You just saved a life. BTW, that draft inducer is pressurizing the rest of that now ruined B-vent. That means you not only have a fire hazard but a CO issue as well. This is criminal. The only way this mess can be fixed is to tear it out and install a new (preferrably factory built) fireplace.

Where's the vent termination? Any more pics? Yes, I'm greedy.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

The vent terminates in the "real" chimney.

It is a real mess. I could have just left it as ...damper needs repair, etc.

If the basement ceiling had been drywall instead of a dropped ceiling, I would have never been able to see this mess. Or if I hadn't taken the extra time to go get my ladder and pop the tiles to follow my hunch.

JF

Danger Will Robinson, Danger, Danger....!

The insurers would deny coverage on this set up!