David Block Guest

Default Electrifying Inspection

I have no questions, I just wanted to share a recent inspection experience for entertainment purposes. I was inspecting an electrical raceway and breaker box beneath a deck when I went to open the box door, sparks flew and I saw my life flash before my eyes. I did some investigating and discovered improper wiring at the hot tub. I detected voltage at the hot tub body, breaker box, raceway running the length of the house, the A/C cabinet and disconnect box. I have never run across this serious of a hazard on the exterior of a home before. It may be unrelated but the family dog "spike" was buried in the backyard.

Dave in Kansas

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Electrifying Inspection

Lucky you. Sounds like it could have been much worse.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Lee Nettnin Guest

Hi,
    I not saying you don't have a problem here, but I hope you are not just relying on that voltage ticker. They are able to pick up voltage inside the conduit and it does not necessarily mean the conduit is energized.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    Hi,
    I not saying you don't have a problem here, but I hope you are not just relying on that voltage ticker. They are able to pick up voltage inside the conduit and it does not necessarily mean the conduit is energized.
    I agree. Those suckers are tricky. I have discovered "hot" unprotected wires that on further investigation turned out to be disconnected on both ends. The voltage sniffer was picking up induced current because the disconnected wire was running alongside energized wires. The sniffer I use has adjustable sensitivity, which helps some.

David
    Was the hot tub protected by an GFCI? Doesn't sound like it is given your findings I would have expected it to trip.

Lee Nettnin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    The sniffer I use has adjustable sensitivity, which helps some.
    Hi John,
    What kind of ticker do you use? I don't think I have ever seen one with the adjustable sensitivity, just the $10 cheapies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    Hi John,
    What kind of ticker do you use? I don't think I have ever seen one with the adjustable sensitivity, just the $10 cheapies.
    Voltage Testers: GB GVD505A GVD504A, SQUARED SS82, review Greenlee GT11, Amprobe VT124, buy UEi PET1, Northern Tool and Equipment, Madaco, Fieldpiece, Trademark Commerce

see the third one down

Lee Nettnin Guest

Smile Re: Electrifying Inspection

Thanks John