Default Corroded Galvanized Pic

In case anyone's interested... here's a pic of some super corroded galvanzied supply plumbing out of a 1971 house. So, the next time a buyer asks... "why is the flow so bad?" .... give them this picture.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Corroded Galvanized Pic

Matt,

Its surprising that any water got throught that line.

Your picture reminded me of this one today of a dryer vent since were looking down things.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    galvanzied supply plumbing out of a 1971 house.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

Who, in 1971, would have used galvanized piping? I mean, sure, way back in the dark ages, say, the 1930s and maybe even into the 1950s ... but in 1971?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry
    In my area, on a house that age, it's not uncommon to see copper water lines in the wall, with galvanized nipples come out the wall.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    In my area, on a house that age, it's not uncommon to see copper water lines in the wall,
    That would be expected.

with galvanized nipples come out the wall.
    Why?

Why use galvanized for that? That would require a brass or bronze fitting between the copper and the galvanized.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Galvanized nipples to copper tubing is what I have in my 1963 house. At least, what I have not yet replaced.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

"Why use galvanized for that? That would require a brass or bronze fitting between the copper and the galvanized."

I can't answer that, could be the plumber had threaded shutoffs that needed to be used up.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

imported_John Smith Guest

Was the ID of the pipe exposed, or did you disassemble some fittings to look at it?

imported_John Smith Guest

My personal home was built in the mid 70s and has galvanized piping throughout. It was very common in the Houston Area.

I have disassembled a joint or two (not due to leakage), and it was surprisingly free of calcium restriction. No leaks as of yet. I am on city water also.

Quote Originally Posted by imported_John Smith View Post
    Was the ID of the pipe exposed, or did you disassemble some fittings to look at it?
    The pic I posted was as I found it at the inspection. The supply plumbing had all be redone which is somewhat uncommon for a 1971 house. It seems that most people just live with the restriction of flow.

The variation in corrosion and subsequent restriction of flow has always intrigued me. As with anything I know there's a variation in materials which could account for some of it.

I have another theory that I've never heard anywhere but kind of just made up on my own: The process of galvanizing something usually consists of coating it with zinc. Thinking back to chemistry class, zinc is somewhat reactive with many other minerals. My theory is that the variation in minerals from different water results in a varying amount of corrosion on the inside of the pipes.

I've seen 100 year old houses on wells with flow like brand new plumbing and I've seen 25 year old pipes totally gummed up (kind of like the picture I posted). It's just hard to believe there is that much variation just because of the piping. I'm more inclined to think it's the water going through it.

Just a theory.... I'm no plumber (or chemist for that matter)....

Here is what they have and what they are trying to convert too. Not real sure which is better

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Barry, that is one scary mess.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

It's very common to see galvanized nipples (connected to copper pipe)coming out of a wall. Why don't they use brass or bronze???? $$$$$$$

Sometimes, especially at a laundry connection, the copper is soldered to a brass fitting that has a nail flange and female threads for the nipple. I've seen those used a lot.

But then, we also see copper/galvanized connections all the time. I think the main reason people do it is they just don't carry brass nipples around (to save money), and think that no one is going to see it and complain. The second reason is that most of the dimwits that do repairs don't know they are not supposed to connect the two materials.
    JF

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Barry, that is one scary mess.
    Jim,
    My friends don't call me "badair" for nothing

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

From a Plumber's experience.....
    Pre WWII galvanized was much better. When the war started, many materials got diverted to the war effort so zink was in short supply and the pipes got a thinner coating.
    After the war the US was trying to rebuild Japan and was importing a lot of steel pipe from them that was really crap. Much of the early Japanese stuff was at first.

Also, Union vs. Non-Union has some play on newer jobs. 1970's on houses with Gal was probably Union work since it take a bigger crew to install gal vs copper. "Featherbedding" at work!

Out here in Cali, we have areas that got plumbed in Gal in the 80's because of Union work shops and all had to be repiped in 10 years due to massive failures of poor quality pipe.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504