Default whats missing on this roof

hey all

3 million dollar house in boulder co-----one roof to chimney is 4/12 sloop---the other 6/12 plus----same size cricket on both chimneys-is that right-----what else is missing here--besides intelligent roofer-check out the efflorscence on chimney brick
    charlie

oh yeah forgot to mention most expensive foreclosure i ever inspected----there were no gutters installed at inspection

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: whats missing on this roof

left out the 6/14 plus roof photo

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Real Nice! Somebody has some explaining to do!

David Banks Guest

The chimney is missing step and counter flashing. That may be the reason for the efflorescence also. Cricket looks to small on both. IRC says Cricket Dimensions on 4-12 roof is 1/6 of width. 6-12 needs 1/4 of width.Is that a Gas Meter next to the driveway with no bollard protection?
    Lots of negative grade landscape issues also.

DAVID

didn't write up the bollard--because they are finishing driveway but should have protected myself------negative grade was pointed out --but missing gutters probable cause there as written up--but that roof--how did that pass city inspection---and people say it's a new house what could be wrong----help me rhonda help help me rhonda---attached another picture of stone siding around deck----charged $700 for this 600sq ft house---think that was enough

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    IRC says Cricket Dimensions on 4-12 roof is 1/6 of width. 6-12 needs 1/4 of width.
    David,

Where are you finding that?

The cricket should extend to each side as wide as the chimney is. That's the reason it is there.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

jerry
    you didn't mention the flashing---how about that---how could that pass city inspection
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    jerry
    you didn't mention the flashing

Because David did: "The chimney is missing step and counter flashing."

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

i wrote it up ----missing flashing--cricket not extended to end of chimney--missing gutters--recommend roofing technician---evaluate -immediately--we are in the wet season here in colorado---grading is because of gutters also wrote that up--the 3 million dollar flop

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    David,

Where are you finding that?

The cricket should extend to each side as wide as the chimney is. That's the reason it is there.
    Jerry. My mistake. IRC-2003 R1001.17 Cricket Dimensions. Refers to height and not width.

Cricket? What cricket? You mean that little hump where they put a couple pieces of scrap plywood under the shingles? Damn, too bad flashing is so expensive, must have spent the money on a stupid Sub-zero fridge.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    Jerry. My mistake. IRC-2003 R1001.17 Cricket Dimensions. Refers to height and not width.
    David,

In the 2006 IRC that is R1003.20.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Cricket? What cricket? You mean that little hump

Marcus,

Now you KNOW that small crickets grow up into big crickets ... all it takes is some time ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

That house looks like a law suit in the wings for someone.

there were three sub zero frigs--the guys a international known chef---8 bathrooms--8 bedrooms of course----whirlpools in all bathrooms---six car garage-----radianr heat in all bathrooms

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

The best part is that municipal inspectors can miss all they want and not be held accountable.

JLMathis

Kevin Barre Guest

My experience around here is that some of the most egregious violations of good building practice occur in the most expensive homes. Why? I'm not sure, but I have two guesses:
    1) Not everyone with $$$$ is good at investing it. In other words, they often choose their builder without much thought. If you doubt this, ask a banker friend if most doctors have much investing sense.

And going hand-in-hand with that is supposition number two:

2) There is more profit in larger homes, hence they attract incompetent builders who are only profit-driven. Some of these guys can be smooth talkers, and a functioning conscience isn't required. In fact, it is detrimental to the goal of making a large profit. After all, aren't your classic con(fidence) men usually smooth?

There seems to be a supposition that any builder able to contract a large home must be competent. Bad assumption.

I know a lot of code inspectors - some good and some bad, some real good and some real bad.

I know a lot of home inspectors - some good and some bad, some real good and some real bad.

I know a lot of builders - some good and some bad, some real good and some real bad.

I'd guess that the percentages of each type in each line of work was roughly about equal.

Knock the builders and code inspectors if you want, but what you are really doing is knocking that same rough percentage of home inspectors ... if the shoe fits, wear it, if not, pass it down the line, I'm sure it will fit some here.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Donald Merritt Guest

Talking Re: whats missing on this roof

You may want to check the layout and exposure on the roof shingles. I believe these roof shingles should be installed with a 5 ¾ inch offset to the left and the roof shingles should have 6 to 6 ¼ inch exposure. When you find this many mistakes in a roof you check the fastening. I will bet that the roofing tacks are above the nail lines for the shingles (“high nailing”).

Don Merritt
    Germantown, Tennessee

What was the height of the guard rail on the balconies?
    Never mind, I blew it up and found that the smile is just a shadow line.
    just goes to show you should not jump the gun