Default filter challenge

If anyone has a photo of dirtier filter, I'd like to see it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Patrick Norton Guest

Default Re: filter challenge

I don't have any pics but I find many just like it.

David Banks Guest

I add something like this if I see lack of maintenance.
    : A dirty filter can cause soot /dirt buildup on heat exchanger, reducing the efficiency of the furnace and shorting its life.

Can't find the dirtier one right now but undersized is why this one stays so clean
    Path of least resistance!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

How about this one? The owner said he "has the funaces serviced every year and they change the filters".

Time to fire the service company.

This one of those washable bacteria collecting plastic mold farm filters. It was so dirty that it was sucked into the return.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

I asked a seller last week if she could tell me where she changed the filter. She said: "Huh?"
    She'd live there for 8 years.

JLMathis

In my opinion, there's no such thing as a washable filter despite the claims.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Byron Lentz Guest

Yeah I had a customer that I had installed their HVAC system several years earlier. When they called with no heat, I found the thermal limit switch bad replaced it and started the system, and it started to heat and was cycling on the over heat switch. Same thing, you mean we are supposed to change the filter?

Talking Re: filter challenge

From todays inspection!
    Okay what do I win? 2nd place, 3rd? Who's judging this one?

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

Don't have a filter picture that bad, but here's some wood blinds that was nasty.

Just moving them back to check out the window stirred up a dust storm in the room.

I saw all I wanted of this one.

Twin Furnaces the other ones Filter access sealed Home Built in 1995.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Richard Moore Guest

It didn't take much to remember this mess from about 4 years ago. One of the worst POS's I've done. Laundry standpipe, for instance, just emptied into the dirt crawl. Clients sprinted away!

Anyway, please send my winning check to...

It was so long ago, the pictures are archived and not readily available but:

A few years ago, I'm doing a seller's inspection. As we walk around the corner of the house and up to the AC the seller says "That's a new unit!"

I look at the serial number and see that the unit is six years old. Not wanting to embarass him, I figured I'd look at the inside unit first. I asked him where it was.

He replied "There isn't one. This is all there is." So I asked him where he changed his filters. He replied, "This one doesn't need filters."

Huh, So I told him that the serial number indicated the unit was six years old but I would confirm it. He walked back into the house and I continued on around.

He came back shortly and said, "Man, six years sure go by fast. I checked and it was six years ago when I put it in."

In the far end of the moist crawl space was the moldiest dirtiest unit I've ever seen with one of the return ducts laying on the floor of the crawl space.

I didn't even open it. Just told him to have the whole thing taken apart and given a good cleaning.

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Talking Re: filter challenge

Richard M,
    Okay I give, that's bad. I've been trying to find photos for a couple of filters I took several years ago, one had mold on it and the other looked like yours but had a dead bat stuck to it. Will keep looking.

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest
    Benjamin Franklin

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    It didn't take much to remember this mess from about 4 years ago. One of the worst POS's I've done. Laundry standpipe, for instance, just emptied into the dirt crawl. Clients sprinted away!

Anyway, please send my winning check to...
    We have a winner!

Here we go.....

Richard
    That's not a filter, thats a vacuum cleaner bag.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

I started this thread with a photo of the dirtiest filter I'd ever seen. Two days later I saw one just as bad. The home owners had moved here from Manhattan. As the husband said: " We never had to change a light bulb". They had no idea there was a filter in the HVAC system that required changing.

Last edited by John Arnold; 03-19-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added one letter. guess which one.