Thread: Proper wording

Default Proper wording

Proper wording...

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Zibby Swieca; 03-16-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Proper wording

The electrical cord connection serving the forced-air furnace entered the furnace housing through a knock-out opening. This condition may result in damage to the electrical power cord caused by rubbing of the conductor's insulation against the sharp edge of the knock-out opening due to vibration when the furnace fan is operating. This condition could evolve into electrical arc-faulting resulting in a fire. It is recommended that a state licensed heating contractor be retained to provide a cost estimate for corrective work before the close of escrow and transfer of title.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerry,
    Thank You

If this was a residential inspection for a typical client my report body would state:

----------

Observation: The electrical power to the furnace is supplied by an incorrect type of wiring.

Analysis: As currently installed the wire could be pulled loose from its connection at the furnace and/or the wire’s insulation could be worn through, either situation could create a electrical short circuit to metal furnace components and/or allow the home’s occupants to touch exposed live electrical wiring. Damage to this wiring could also cause failure of the furnace and result in extensive damage from freezing and bursting water pipes, could cause a fire at the furnace, could cause the entire metal duct system thought the house to become electrified (creating a shock and fire hazard) or cause some combination of the above.

Recommendation: Have this corrected by a qualified and insured heating contractor.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Nice Michael, but you left out what may be the most vital piece of information?

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    The electrical cord connection serving the forced-air furnace entered the furnace housing through a knock-out opening. This condition may result in damage to the electrical power cord caused by rubbing of the conductor's insulation against the sharp edge of the knock-out opening due to vibration when the furnace fan is operating. This condition could evolve into electrical arc-faulting resulting in a fire. It is recommended that a state licensed heating contractor be retained to provide a cost estimate for corrective work before the close of escrow and transfer of title.
    How about something a little shorter that still gets the point across:

The electric cord for the HVAC unit is not properly secured to the cabinet and the protective rubber gromit is missing around the opening. The sharp edges of the cabinet could cut the electrical cord and this could cause an electrical short and possible fire. Have a qualified HVAC contractor make the needed corrections.
    or
    The electric cord for the HVAC unit is not properly installed. It needs to be secured to the cabinet and protected from the sharp edges in the opening. If this is not done the electric cord could be damaged. If this happens a fire could start. Have a qualified HVAC contractor make the needed repairs.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

> Nice Michael, but you left out what may be the most vital piece of information?

Which is?

> How about something a little shorter that still gets the point across:

Thats for the body, the correct summary section gets the condensed version and a reference back to the full description and photo, if provided.

Essentially, the report writer outputs two reports from the same inputs, a verbose narrative and group of summaries, cross referenced to each other. Works well for the report's various audiences, and can be done here in IL as state law specifies only the minimum report content, not its format.

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Scott's is better than mine (shorter & on point) and I would use it except for one missing ingredient: "before the close of escrow."
    I've done far too many EW cases where the clients didn't pay attention to this detail and after discovering the cost of a “fix” go looking for somebody to pay for it, and that can and has often been, the HI. Once escrow has closed everybody is fair game for becoming the buyer's personal ATM machine.
    This is my mantra for meaningful disclosure:
    1. Locate: Where is it?
    2. Identify: What is it?
    3. Describe: What is its condition?
    4. Explain: What does this mean?
    5. Recommend: Who should fix it? (get a bid)

Jerry McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    The electrical cord connection serving the forced-air furnace entered the furnace housing through a knock-out opening. This condition ...
    ... should be corrected by removing the cord and plug (which is not allowed for this installation/appliance) and re-wired properly by blah-blah-blah.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I agree the close of escrow statement is important but I have moved the statement "Before Close of Escrow" to a general note. Why?

1) Get tired of seeing it over and over in a report, much less the time to put it in. Redundant boring statements do not help the report or the client.

2) Most of my work the past 4 months has been for "As Is" foreclosure sales that don't have "Close of Escrow" negotiations; Also more pre-sale and maintenance inspections where it doesn't apply.

I'm also moving the "repair/replace by a qualified licensed Plumber/Contractor/Electrician/HVAC Contractor/Landscape Contractor" to a general note. It too is obnoxiously redundant (at least to me) when seen over and over sometimes on the same page.

CYB statements are necessary but can be over done to the point its pretty obvious to more astute clients. It is my opinion that the litigatious nature of CA has had too much influence over our industry.

OK, I'm done. Let the fur fly!

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Brooks View Post
    but I have moved the statement "Before Close of Escrow" to a general note.

I'm also moving the "repair/replace by a qualified licensed Plumber/Contractor/Electrician/HVAC Contractor/Landscape Contractor" to a general note. It too is obnoxiously redundant (at least to me) when seen over and over sometimes on the same page.

CYB statements are necessary but can be over done to the point its pretty obvious to more astute clients.
    I did the same thing 17 years ago - for the same reasons.

I had all those things on one page, I did not have to repeat them with each defect.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I too have the wording in one location, the cover page of the report; "all repairs should be made before final settlement of the home.", as we do not close in Escrow in my area.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I too have the wording in one location, the cover page of the report; "all repairs should be made before final settlement of the home.", as we do not close in Escrow in my area.
    WHAT? You haven't been Californicated either? Dang.

No personal offense intended to all the honest hardworking Californians out there who have to suffer the results of politicians who have apparently crawled out from the shallow end of the gene pool, or are a bit confused over gender, or consider criminals rights have a higher priority than that of the victim, or cannot comprehend why we don't need government to tell us how to exist on a day-2-day basis (OK, make that second-to-second basis). Sorry about this. My anti-depressant prescription ran out a couple of days ago. Need to re-new it, FAST.

BTW Scott, I agree with your version of reporting the wire.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I was searching for the discussion (still am searching for it) where we (several of us) arrived at the best phrase to use, something like "competent" or ??? and found this post.

"all repairs should be made before final settlement of the home."

I read that and thought ... ummmmm ... shouldn't final settlement of the home have taken place a long time ago?

I believe Scott is referring to 'settlement of the transaction'.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Jerry

Below is the new mandated first page of the Texas Home Inspectors report. I think you will find great wording on here for many items. I was shocked to see how the state turned more towards protection of the inspectors. I would like to know what you think. Forgive the formatting. Its just they way it pasted.

I just deleted it. Check my last post. It has a PDF link

Ted

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 06-13-2008 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Just added a PDF link at last thread

Ted Menelly Guest

Just a note

For those folks about to say anything about state licensing, please, we already are state licensed. We live with it the best we can an the new wording on the front of the inspection report is what I have been telling folks all along.

Ted

(by the way, I found the post I was searching for)

Ted,

I'll have to copy and paste that, then break it up into paragraphs where I can read it better, right now I am reviewing a report for possible court case (the report is only a draft now) and the wording needs some fine tuning, such as the phrase "licensed and competent" needs to replace what is currently in it. (Still not ready to drop the "licensed" part.)

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...7a-1-draft.pdf

I just pulled this from a licensing thread on this site

Ted Menelly Guest

Any such follow-up should take place prior to the expiration of any time limitations such as option periods.

Richard Stanley Guest

Ted,
    What is the date that became officially mandated???

Ted Menelly Guest

The 16th of June. But what I got from it it says unless, who knows what unless meant, It will be the deal at the beginning of July, the third I think. I guess the 16th unless there were any final additions before the 16th, but what is in there so far is suppose to not change.

Ted

I should add every time I check there is always the unless.

From the TREC website:
    New Standards of Practice and Standard Form Proposed – At its meeting on April 28, 2008, the Commission proposed new standards of practice and a revised standard report form, as recommended by the Inspector Advisory Committee. Please review the Standards of Practice, Section 535.227-.233 and the form rules, Sections 535.222 and 535.223, and the proposed new standard inspection report form, REI 7A-1. The Inspector Committee will meet on June 16, 2008, to discuss comments received regarding these proposed rules before the Commission considers adoption on June 30, 2008.
    The earliest possible adoption date is listed as June 30th, but that is NOT the effective date. There is normally a date set out 3, 6, or 12 month lag between adoption and the implementation of any new law. There will be a time allowance to let inspectors become familiar with and convert over to the new requirements. The state folks may be a bunch of heartless SOB's, but they are not unreasonable

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks Jim

I have a bad habbit of reading emails from folks and and then just scanning through the trec site. Yeah I know, pay more attention. Shouldn't take what other folks say in emails with out doing a more thorough investigation myself.

Anyway , after scanning a little better it does not seem it is going to change from where it is at now.

Thanks again Jim. I have been forcing myself to get a little more involved. To busy most of the time and what little time I have I try to have some kind of life.

Ted