Thread: 80 amp main

Jerome W. Young Guest

Default 80 amp main

Had a 1958 home that only had an 80 amp main. Any problem with that? I know 100 is the min now... but back then?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: 80 amp main

Its a 50 yr. old service equipment and needs to be replaced.

rick

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Had a 1958 home that only had an 80 amp main. Any problem with that? I know 100 is the min now... but back then?
    Many homes built in the 50's with 60 Amp main. Like Rick said. Replace it Fuses!

Insurability is an issue with some insurance companies with anything over 40 years. Electrical systems are not like fine wine, they do not get better with age.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

1956 NEC - 60 amp minimum

1959 NEC - 100 amp minimum

Regardless, though, will 60 amp carry what is in the typical modern house? Not likely.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Richard Rushing Guest

I usually tell the buyers...

"We are no longer living in the 40's and 50's. What their household appliances and equipment required back then is much different from what we require these days. You don't want to be limited to having to live as they did back then. You are probably wanting to upgrade alot of the things in this home anyway... just plan on doing the same with the electrical accordingly."

rr

Jerome W. Young Guest

Roger...thanks

John Steinke Guest

The size of the service is probably just fine. One needs to do a load calculation, or take measurements, to be able to say there's a problem.

Indeed, one could argue that supplying 80 amps to a home that only needs, say, 50 amps, is safer than supplying it with 100 amps.

I'd never advise a service change simply because the equipment was 'old.'

Age is a clue, though. Apart from the actual condition of the equipment, it's a suggestion that you look for improper electrical work that has been done over the past fifty years. That's where the dangers are found.

Heck, until recently my place was doing just fine with two circuits, and a 30 amp, 120 volt service. I certainly never blew a fuse ..... and yes, they were the right sizes

Naturally, my old service would not have been able to handle the addition of an electric range, electric water heater, air conditioning, or a electrically heated hot tub.

Yet, even with a fancy new breaker panel, my home's electrical system is unchanged - all I have is a big box with empty spaces. The wiring inside the house hasn't changed a bit since 1940. Two circuits, no ground wire, very few outlets.
    In that regard I'm lucky. No flying splices, no 3-prong receptacles, no confused shared neutrals .... even at the light fixtures, there' been little over-lamping (as the insulation hasn't turned to dust). Those are the types of things to focus on.

Richard Abrams Guest

Cool Re: 80 amp main

Replace it Do you still drive a 1958 car? Minimum in Idaho is 125Amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Abrams View Post
    Do you still drive a 1958 car?
    Nope 57 Truck.

Attached Files Attached Files
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.