Wendell Swedberg Guest

Default polyethylene plastic tubing - astm d 2737

Can you use solvent cement to join two pieces of polyethylene?

I'm thinking you can't as I don't see it listed in the code book, section 2904.9....am i correct that if you don't see it listed in the code, you can use it?

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: polyethylene plastic tubing - astm d 2737

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Swedberg View Post

I'm thinking you can't as I don't see it listed in the code book, section 2904.9....am i correct that if you don't see it listed in the code, you can use it?
    The pipe manufacturer will trump the codes if the pipe manufacturer allows for it to be done. But, I have never seen it done.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Wendell Swedberg Guest

Thanks Scott.....but this is ICC test question ...the answer is yes it is acceptable per code but I can't find where in the code that says it is acceptable.

Polyethylene (PE) pipe should not be confused with cross linked polyethylene (PEX).

You can't solvent weld PEX.

Not sure about PE but I would doubt it unless it was used in a drainage type system etc..

PE is used in low-pressure water systems, such as golf-course sprinklers, for corrosive liquids and gases; as underground conduits and gas-pipe re-liners. It's also used in industrial and chemical laboratory drainage systems, and for underground gas piping.

Default Re: polyethylene plastic tubing - ASTM d 2737

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Swedberg View Post
    Thanks Scott.....but this is ICC test question ...the answer is yes it is acceptable per code but I can't find where in the code that says it is acceptable.
    Wendell,

Are you sure you are using the proper term?

From the 2006 IRC. (underlining is mine)
    P2904.3 Polyethylene plastic piping installation.
    Polyethylene pipe shall be cut square using a cutter designed for plastic pipe. Except where joined by heat fusion, pipe ends shall be chamfered to remove sharp edges. Pipe that has been kinked shall not be installed. For bends, the installed radius of pipe curvature shall be greater than 30 pipe diameters or the coil radius when bending with the coil. Coiled pipe shall not be bent beyond straight. Bends shall not be permitted within 10 pipe diameters of any fitting or valve. Joints between polyethylene plastic pipe and fittings shall comply with Sections P2904.3.1 and P2904.3.2.

- P2904.3.1 Heat-fusion joints.
    Joint surfaces shall be clean and free from moisture. Joint surfaces shall be heated to melting temperature and joined. The joint shall be undisturbed until cool. Joints shall be made in accordance with ASTM D 2657.

- P2904.3.2 Mechanical joints.
    Mechanical joints shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Mike Cudahy Guest

PE, HDPE, also known as polyethylene pipe and tubing cannot be solvent welded. The solvent cement will not soften, dissolve, nor bond the pipes and fittings. This is a physical property of the resin. CPVC, ABS and PVC are solvent weld tubing and pipes.

PE is joined with mechanical or heat fusion techniques.

Mike
    PPFA

www.PPFAhome.org