Default weirdo box cover

Never seen a decorative junction box cover before. Always something new.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: weirdo box cover

I'm guessing that was originally for use over an annunciator / bell of some type.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

John:

A decorater cover? Like this FPE cover I saw last week . . .

Last edited by Aaron Miller; 05-17-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Aaron Miller Guest

Oops, that's decorator, before the spelling police jump on it . . .

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
    John:

A decorater cover? Like this FPE cover I saw last week . . .
    I particularly like the 4 'humps' where there are presumably screws beneath the 16 layers of paint.

Brandon Chew Guest

Questions for everyone about the panel cover in Aaron's photo:

Setting aside for a moment that it is an FPE panel, do you try to take the cover off or do you say it's not readily accessible?

If it is a FPE panel, does that change your answer?

I get permission from either the seller or listing agent prior to damaging the paint-- especially in this case...... if the buyer's agent can't get ahold of anyone, it is inaccessible. (whether or not FP)

Aaron Miller Guest

Brandon:

I didn't on this one and I don't at any time that the removal of whatever it is will damage the building's finish. Once upon a time I would carefully cut the paint at the edge of the cover, tediously remove the paint from the screw slots and have a look inside. In almost every case the owner should howl about the paint damage and demand restitution. I never paid and never will, but have learned not to go there.

I simply disclaim the condition of the interior of the panel and strongly urge that the buyer have the interior of the panel professionally inspected by a master electrician prior to closing escrow.

With an FPE it does not matter much if I look inside because I recommend furthere analysis of the situation by a master electrician and point my client to all of the exisiting info on FPE junk.

Aaron

I always did (after asking) unless specifically instructed not to.

On those few occasions when the seller or listing agent specifically stated not to, I then advised my client that 'an electrical contractor had to come out and inspect the panel, why should you bear that cost, and, they will need to cut the cover loose anyway' ... with the exception of one time, the seller relented and allowed me to cut the cover loose - simply because THEY were going to have to pay for the electrician to come out if THEY refused to allow me to remove the cover.

That one time that the sellers had to pay, they ended up with a clumsy electrician (buyers choice of who to call) who mangled it all up - and THE SELLERS had to pay for the electrician AND the damage! How sweet revenge can be.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Jerry:

The sellers are almost never at my inspections. Even if they are there when I arrive, after a short exchange of pleasantries with me, they usually opt to take there cat to have its teeth flossed, or anything to get out of there.

I will not ever rely upon an agent to grant authority for anything. They are only an "agent" in the sense that they are representing one side or the other in a property sale. They almost never have a full-blown power of attorney.

If it will damage something, anything, or if I have to move something, anything, then it is inaccessible. Period.

Aaron

Aaron,

Then you are a 'kinder and gentler' person than I.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Aaron Miller Guest

Then you are a 'kinder and gentler' person than I.
    Nah. At least I hope not for your sake.

Aaron