Jon mackay Guest

Default Soot above water heater TPR Valve

Has anyone ever seen this condition before?

If so, any idea what the cause may be?

Thank you

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Soot above water heater TPR Valve

Looks like backdrafting, blocked vent, or similar combustion issue.

Dom.

Jon,

Like Dom said and often due to poor combustion/draft air, flame roll out or absent/misaligned inner door, usually also evident at the drain valve escutcheon.

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good

Cleaned up a bit.

Is there a picture of the entire heater on the burner door side?

Of the venting arrangement above?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Can't tell from this picture, but sometimes it is a simple as the plumbers torch from installation.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Jon mackay Guest

Yes, here is the whole thing... and then the vent area.

Jon,

The flue pipe does not look like it has have the correct 1/4 inch per foot rise.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Cool Re: Soot above water heater TPR Valve

I see this on most gas water heaters. Inadequate chimney/ venting causes some flue gas spillage within the jacket of the water heater. You will usually see some signs of spillage at the draft hood, condensation and corrosion on the venting and top of the unit with this. Just another piece of the puzzle.

There should not be a torch near that TPR. Sweat the drain tube onto the fitting first then screw it in as a unit.

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

"Can't tell from this picture, but sometimes it is a simple as the plumbers torch from installation."

Jim
    I was also thinking the same thing, but then I thought, no you can't torch the TPR valve. So I checked 2 TPR valves I have on hand, both are threaded.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

There should not be a torch near that TPR. Sweat the drain tube onto the fitting first then screw it in as a unit.
    Agreed, but did Bubba know that?

I was also thinking the same thing, but then I thought, no you can't torch the TPR valve. So I checked 2 TPR valves I have on hand, both are threaded.
    Yes, all the TPR valves of this sort are threaded, but the adapter is not. And we all know that bubba would have to wait for it to cool and have a straight joint if he sweated the pipe onto the adapter before installing it.

I think, after seeing the other photos, that it is even more likely that the torch may have had a hand in this. I don't see any other evidence around the door, etc. of flame roll out and the likes that have been mentioned. But then, I was not there.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

My first thought was a torch, then (like the others) 'but what would the plumbers be doing with a torch there'?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    I see this on most gas water heaters. Inadequate chimney/ venting causes some flue gas spillage within the jacket of the water heater.
    The spillage "within" the jacket, escapes from the highest opening - the T&P.

Just another piece of the puzzle.
    And what a puzzle they can be.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jon,

From the amount of rust on the bottom of the other Fired appliance in the Picture where there any issues there?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Cool Re: Soot above water heater TPR Valve

I doubt it was the plumber's torch. I see no blistering of paint, no melting of the plastic escutcheon around the TPR and look at the solder on the cold water inlet-- this was soldered off the unit first, screwed in then soldered to the pipes as it should have been. The solder would not run uphill when he sweated the cold inlet to the adapter. That solder was wiped while hot. Also, he knows not to apply heat close to delicate fittings. The plumber also knows from experience it is much easier and faster to sweat the adapter onto the pipe, let it cool, then screw it into the TPR than to try and hold it up into the adapter without it falling out while he's soldering--takes 3-4 hands that way.

You always sweat adapters first then screw then in.

I would replace that old gas cock with a modern ball valve listed to ANSI Z21.15. Those old ones tend to leak or stick.

I stick with venting and CAZ pressure issues.
    Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Jim
    If the soot was caused by trying to sweat a fitting, I expect to see soot beside and below the TPR (near the sweated fitting), not centered and above the TPR.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Jon mackay Guest

I'm sure it was not from a torch, the soot wiped off with my finger.

As for the furnace, it is an old 30 + year GE unit that is in need of replacement. No signs of spillage there.

I personally have never seen spillage from within the jacket, but that sounds like a reasonable cause.

Thank you,
    Jon