Thread: 15 yr Old Roof

Seth Hughes Guest

Default 15 yr Old Roof

How much time would you gus say is left on this roof? The roof also seems to be bowed in a few places.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: 15 yr Old Roof

Seth,

When Clients ask me how much time is left on the roof, I tell them till it needs to be replaced.

That roof in the pics looks like it has excessive granule loss on those tabs near the fascia.

rick

I would bet the flashing is done wrong along the chimney. Due to the way the shingles are lifted up, it looks like a continuous run of flashing, versus step flashing.

Those type of shingles, when installed properly, typically lasts 25 plus years in my area. There are many factors that can change that though. With pictures, I would pretty much say with certainty that there is no way for any of us to look at the pictures and give a good estimate as to life expectancy. You really have to be there.

That's like asking "Will this roof leak?"

'Only when it rains and gets water on it.' is the answer.

Really, though, when asked that question ("How much time would you ... say is left on this roof? "), the best answer is "Oh, let's see ... ummmm ... what time is it now?" Works most every time.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

You can't tell people how much time is left, it's not a legitimate question that can be legitimately answered.
    You might be better off talking to them about doing some flashing repairs etc. to extend the life of the roof.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

No "kick-out" flashing on the side wall, poor installation job at best, "how much time left?" I like and would use Jerry P's reply!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

With the improper flashing I wouldn't want to assume it doesn't leak now.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

At best, repairs appear needed to the flashing areas now. At worst, who knows. People always ask how much life the roof has left and there is no way to adequately answer the question unless the roof is in immediate need of replacement. So many things affect the life of asphalt shingles such as pitch of roof, orientation to sun/wind/wind driven rain, climate, grade of shingle, quality of manufacture of shingle, quality of install, etc.

Many of us have seen roofs that look like hell but don't leak and roofs that look fine but leak like a sieve. What I tell people is that when you start to lose shingles and/or repairs are needed every year, it's time to look into replacement.

When people ask me how much time is left on an older roof, and it is an asphalt shingle roof, I tell them that it is toward or at the end of it's serviceable lifespan. I also tell them that temporary repairs are fairly simple on an asphalt shingle roof, so if they don't replace now, they can expect intermittent leaks and the need for subsequent temporary repairs until the roof is replaced.

No need to wonder "when" that sealant is going to fail:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Daniel Stone Guest

Nick hit it on the nose in his second paragraph, and it looks like they're already making repairs.

15 yrs old in the Lousiana heat and humidity makes me think this roof is actually about 25 yrs. old with the bowing, thickening of the shingles and flashing problems, so a nice new roof would be the recommendation. Never mind repairs, nothing will match.

Last edited by Daniel Stone; 03-20-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: grammar

Bill Taylor Guest

You guys are right. This roof needs serious attention. But, as some of you have noted, you've seen 15-18 year old roofs that are old but all the flaskings are in place, boots in good shape etc. These are exactly the type of roofs which our roof performance warranty is a great fit for buyers.

For those of you not aware of the program, we offer 2yr-5yr-7yr no-fault warranties. We attended a realtor expo last week in Charlotte and the realtors were elated because they've lost deals because the buyer and seller could not come to terms related to an old roof and the warranty make these deals happen.

You may want to become more aware of the products.
    www.moisturefreeinspecitons.com
    MoistureFree Roofing Warranties, The Roof Warranty For You

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Taylor View Post
    our roof performance warranty

Bill,

Click on the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom and contact Brian who owns this site, he can set you up with a clickable link to sponsor.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com