Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

Should there be a second condensate line installed? Does it make any difference that this is a condo?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Help Please

Yes, there should be a secondary drain, but....

I talked with some hvac guy's and they said some units just don't drain properly at the primary unless the secondary is plugged up.

They seem to be very sure of this and somewhat frustrated with the real world operation of some units.

The primary probably don't drain well for these guys because they don't trap the secondaries when they open them up, like 99.9% around here.
    Yes there should be a secondary condensate drain unless it meets one of the exemptions which this one does not judging from your picture.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Question Re: Help Please

Any more pics on the venting? There should not be foil tape on it. Are they geting condensation? Do you have a 1 inch clearance to that lineset insulation? What's up with that lower joint? Did they mix and match B-vent brands or is that just old mixed with new of the same brand?

Bob

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Aaron Miller Guest

I agree with Jim on this one.

Aaron

Jim,

Some don't even put a condensate trap on the primary.

Think I've seen one secondary drain trapped and thats about it.

You can't even get the HVAC techs to open up the secondary drain most of the time to the pan.

Missing insulation on the refrigerant line also, you can see the drip stain on the decking below the equipment.

From this morning in the Land of Frisco

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I can't remember the last system I inspected that had the condensate lines totally correct. I get excited when I see some thing that gets close, but I am always disappointed when I get closer. If I see two traps, both vents (if they have one) are on the wrong side of the trap. I usually do a show and tell with the client if it is safe, so they know what to look for after it is repaired since I know it is not going to be done right.

I am still looking for a good diagram or photo of a correctly plumbed attic A/C system to use in my reports. The best I have was a Lennox diagram that someone posted here, but it does not show the secondary (for clarity) in the drawing. I need something to show the repair tech!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Here's one that came close, Jim.

Richard Rushing Guest

My favorite is the last pic... it kinda makes you wonder if they had a plan or were they just plumbing to see what happens next.

rr

Yeah, all those are better than what is typical, so close

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

LOL, there must have been a sale at Home Depot on PVC fittings that week.

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504