David Edens Guest

Default Standing water around crawlspace posts

I did recommend a waterproofing contractor for a home recently because of small pockets of standing water around a couple of posts. It was moist under most of the moisture barrier. The house is on a crawlspace that is just sliightly below grade all around the perimeter. The entire grading around the house is flat. Would this likely be more serious or just a minor fix?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Standing water around crawlspace posts

It really just depends on what is needed to remedy the situation. If the installation of a sump is required then it can be a bit costly if done correctly. Is the home near a river? In some areas the water tables are just higher than others and can cause periodic water entrance into the crawl space. Was it musty smelling or moldy? heavy staining on the crawl space walls or wood surfaces? Is this house located at the bottom of a hill(runoff)? Here in the NW, this is very common. And it really depends on each circumstance as to what approach to take.

Rob Jones
    Washington State Licensed Home Inspector #256
    www.washingtonhomeinspector.biz

Chuck Bolner Guest

As long as there is no staining on the interior concrete surfaces of the stem walls or on the wood structural members, and the moisture is contained for the most part under the vapor barrier, then the problem is of a minor nature. I would write it up as maintenance recommended or monitor this item, and recommend a periodic inspection by the homeowner. If the moisture is contained under the barrier, then the barrier is doing its job.

Additionally, the areas around the crawl space posts could be sealed to keep the water from wicking up from below. That is the easiest fix. Additional vents could be cut in also, given there is enough space and it is convenient to do so. This would help to keep air flow under the house to a maximum and help dry out any water that reaches the surface of the vapor barrier.

I find this situation a lot here in Northern California.

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Bolner View Post
    As long as there is no staining on the interior concrete surfaces of the stem walls or on the wood structural members, and the moisture is contained for the most part under the vapor barrier, then the problem is of a minor nature. I would write it up as maintenance recommended or monitor this item, and recommend a periodic inspection by the homeowner. If the moisture is contained under the barrier, then the barrier is doing its job.

Additionally, the areas around the crawl space posts could be sealed to keep the water from wicking up from below. That is the easiest fix. Additional vents could be cut in also, given there is enough space and it is convenient to do so. This would help to keep air flow under the house to a maximum and help dry out any water that reaches the surface of the vapor barrier.

I find this situation a lot here in Northern California.

Chuck
    Chuck,

Do you honestly think that a homeowner is going to "monitor" this condition? Not going to happen.

If there is water standing under the home, it is not a "minor" condition. The term "minor" has no place in a Home Inspection report. It will come back to haunt you one day when your sitting there in that miserable coat and tie in front of a lawyer explaining what the difference is between minor and major.

The original post by David stated that the soil around the foundation is flat. Here lies the problem. If the soil around the foundation does not have a positive slope to drain the water away, all the monitoring in the world is not going to solve the problem.

Sounds like they need to correct the grading issue around the foundation.

I fully agree with Rick on this and my experience in litigation issues with home inspectors has been around 90% about moisture infiltration into the building envelope. Your client needs a state licensed drainage contractor or even soils engineer for evaluation and provide recommendations for corrective work. Water under a home is not a good thing...think M___!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant