Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Non threatening

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    But in the end it usually means the house was over priced for it's condition.
    The seller's only hope if the deal is killed is to find a less informed sucker to buy his trash.
    Blame the Realtor for agreeing to list the house at a price it isn't worth. To many of them don't care either.

Sometimes it's because the seller is already bringing money to the table to pay the mortgage off, and there is no more money for them to bring to the table.

"The seller's only hope if the deal is killed is to find a less informed sucker to buy his trash."

There is another option though, albeit tough for the seller - give the house back to the bank, let the bank take the bigger loss (not saying that having a house foreclosed on is not a 'big loss') and sell the house for less than the mortgage balance it ... called a "short sale". Some banks are doing that now.

OREP Insurance
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    There is another option though, albeit tough for the seller - give the house back to the bank, let the bank take the bigger loss (not saying that having a house foreclosed on is not a 'big loss') and sell the house for less than the mortgage balance it ... called a "short sale". Some banks are doing that now.
    A lot of banks are accepting short sales at this time. Over half my current business is from either foreclosed or short sale properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    The seller's only hope if the deal is killed is to find a less informed sucker to buy his trash.
    Or for the realtor to find a home inspector whose reports are ....

"NON THREATHENING"!

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Or for the realtor to find a home inspector whose reports are ....

"NON THREATHENING"!
    You make to much of the term " NON THREATENING"

It the roof leaks and the foundation has problems the bank still wouldn't approve the loan in this case.
    And that's no matter how non threatening you write it up.

Default Re: Non threathening

Michael;

I don't know about where you live, but the 'bank' isn't going to know the roof leaks unless the inspection states something like

"the roof has cracked, missing shingles; the brittle shingles are starting to curl. The roof has exceeded it's life expectancy and should be replaced NOW! Obtain an accurate replacement quote from a licensed roofing contractor prior to expiration of inspection period."

A "non threathening", "non-alarmist", "realtor friendly" home inspector will not put anything like that in his/her report unless...
    he stepped thru the roof while walking it. But no, we all know those type of inspectors don't carry ladders and disclaim the roof because they can't view it up close.

Michael, everyone one here knows the games non threathening inspectors play on their clients; 'if I disclaim it, I can't write anything bad and that will be my defense in court.'

AND speaking of court, the guy who made the commercial at the start of this tread; let one of his clients sue him (and pull out that commercial in court)...see how fast he loses his shirt.

Think of it this way; if you have to think about it being unethical, it probably is.

OK, I'm done

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

Michael Larson Guest

Default Re: Non threathening

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Miller View Post
    Michael;

I don't know about where you live, but the 'bank' isn't going to know the roof leaks unless the inspection states something like

"the roof has cracked, missing shingles; the brittle shingles are starting to curl. The roof has exceeded it's life expectancy and should be replaced NOW! Obtain an accurate replacement quote from a licensed roofing contractor prior to expiration of inspection period."

A "non threathening", "non-alarmist", "realtor friendly" home inspector will not put anything like that in his/her report unless...
    he stepped thru the roof while walking it. But no, we all know those type of inspectors don't carry ladders and disclaim the roof because they can't view it up close.

Michael, everyone one here knows the games non threathening inspectors play on their clients; 'if I disclaim it, I can't write anything bad and that will be my defense in court.'

AND speaking of court, the guy who made the commercial at the start of this tread; let one of his clients sue him (and pull out that commercial in court)...see how fast he loses his shirt.

Think of it this way; if you have to think about it being unethical, it probably is.

OK, I'm done
    Darren, I understand your point quite well. I certainly wasn't advocating that the inspector should not write up the roof leaks or the foundation problems. (I know I am mixing two threads here but it's a good example)
    Perhaps it a matter of the language we use in our reports. I have the duty to fully report the defects in a house to the client. Disclaiming an inspection item or referring it other professionals should only be done in a limited amount of situations. The Realtor's request is NOT one of them.

Non threatening doesn't have to mean a soft report. It's a matter of tone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12