mathew stouffer Guest

Default Commercial Inspections

How is everyone? This is a very general questions about commercial inspections. I had someone call today for a commercial inspection and I said I was unable to perform a commerical inspection (lack of experience) What differs on commercial inspections and what are some of the code variations (electrical for example). Also do you charge more? I know these questions are very general. I am just looking for some info before I start to research commericial inspections.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Commercial Inspections

BEST TO YA. I HAVE BEEN INSPECTING EVERTHING FROM BOATS, TO SHIPS, TO HOMES, CONDOS, AND DOCKS. ITS ALL THE SAME JUST AS LONG AS YOUR INSURANCE COVERS YOU AND YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING. AND YES I GET A LOT MORE FOR THINGS OUT OF THE NORM. LIKE COMMERCIAL BUILDING. COMMERCIAL AT $ 100.00 PER 1K SQ FEET. WITH A MIM CHARGE $

BUT THEN IM JUST A CALIF TERMITE/BUILDING INSPECTOR...

HEY GO FOR IT. I DO THE INFRARED 2. BUT THATS ME.

$ $ $

BEST

RON
    WWW.EXCELLENCEEXTERMINATING.COM

Matt, you didn't define 'commercial' inspections, as in more than 4 RES. units, warehouses, large office, etc. Each has it's own peculiarities. I'll give you some general info that I have learned/use.
    - buy commercial code books, IBC, UBC etc., whatever is applicable in your area, not just the IRC, etc. for houses
    - get some construction and architectural books
    - consider modifying your existing HI contract so it is appropriate for commercial work. I know some guys get a whole new contract. I modified my HI contract into 5-6 versions for different types of inspections. A regular HI contract can actually give you more liability in a commercial setting. I suggest talking to counsel about changes and local laws.
    - I've never gotten a comm insp from advertising. It's always been referrals or networking. Someone decides they like you and your work and you are in. Commercial can also be less forgiving, one slip-up and you could be out. There's usually someone in the food chain hoping to get their guy in.
    - Comm accounts can be a lifesaver when times are lean in HI. (like now)
    - One of the most important factors to know in order to satisfy a comm client is to find out is,'what information are they actually seeking'. Is the insp for capital improvement budget, short term acquisition costs, code compliance, annual improvement budget, specified item, etc.
    - Comm is different in that a client often doesn't want a full HI type inspection (sometimes of course) but they usually have a specific goal in mind. Ask lots of questions upfront to determine what their goal is.
    - If you do a good job on the initial, hourly consulting during the project can often follow. Nice work
    - Pricing varies depending. Initial meeting to discuss is free or $75.00 to do a driveby/walkaround to get a feel for the property. I'll let the client know either how much it will cost or give a range of cost based on the driveby/walkaround and goals. If not hired I ask for the $75.00, if hired I apply it to the contract.
    - I always put an additional hourly rate in the contract for extra services. If they like your product you'll get hourly work
    - Comm clients expect backup documentation, be prepared
    - Some states require a separate distinct 'consulting contract', talk to counsel about your state.
    It's good work if you can get it. Don't be afraid
    I'll shut-up now. Sorry this post is so long, slap me now.
    Ask away, good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

mathew stouffer Guest

Markus,
    Thanks for the infor, very helpful.

matthew,
    sharpen up your knowledge on exits,handrails guardrails,landings and all other things that business owners may get taken to court over. ada issues and compliance is a real concern with business owners. these are issues above and beyond the typical property inspection that may come into play!