Default 100-amp service panel question

I recently did an inspection of a condo in Brooklyn. The service panel was 100-amps w/#4 copper wire. The apartment had central air and a hot air furnace on a 40-amp 220 breaker. Also a washer/dryer on a separate 20-amp circuit. Kitchen had the normal appliances. A family of 4-is planning on moving here.
    With the number of electronic gizmos people have now (multiple computers and tv's, etc.) coupled with the central air/heat, I told my client that the service may be somewhat lacking for their needs. Also, no additional power can be brought into the apt. I recommended that an electrician be called in to do a survey and calculations. Since the apt. was last renovated about 20-years ago, I also wanted someone to look at the integrity of the service.
    Did I make the right call? I don't want to be an alarmist but I thought that they might have problems down the line and didn't want to receive any phone calls about it.
    Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: 100-amp service panel question

Looks like it meets code, but remember, code is minimal so a word to the wise to your clients certainly may be appropriate.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ken,was it a gas range/cook top? If it was an electric kitchen setup, you would be pushing the limits, but still probably ok. If gas, it should be fine IF the rest of the integrity is OK. I have 100 amps with a large hot tub and electric dryer and I've never had a problem. If I added an electric range or electric water heater that may be a different story. No need for central air here. TV"s and computers don't really pull that much juice. Hairdryers and microwaves are a different story.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
    I recently did an inspection of a condo in Brooklyn. The service panel was 100-amps.

I doubt a "condo" will need more than that ... unless it is a very large condo.

As West Coast Jerry said: "Looks like it meets code, but remember, code is minimal".

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Ken,was it a gas range/cook top? If it was an electric kitchen setup, you would be pushing the limits, but still probably ok. If gas, it should be fine IF the rest of the integrity is OK. I have 100 amps with a large hot tub and electric dryer and I've never had a problem. If I added an electric range or electric water heater that may be a different story. No need for central air here. TV"s and computers don't really pull that much juice. Hairdryers and microwaves are a different story.
    It was a gas stove. What concerned me was the electric furnace/AC unit. The seller claims not to have ever had a problem but I only take that with a grain of salt.
    Thanks for all of the replies.