David Edens Guest

Default Function of Vertical Studs in Rafter Roofs?

Often, I see just a couple of vertical studs in a rafter roof (2X6) that look just propped up and not load bearing. They are not even toe nailed in. Recently, I saw a couple like the one in the picture that were slightly boxed. Is this an issue? What is their function?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Function of Vertical Studs in Rafter Roofs?

used to temporarily support the ridge while rafters and ceiling joists are installed.can be used to install an attic light later!

Talking Re: Function of Vertical Studs in Rafter Roofs?

I grabbed one of these once and like you found out that it wasn't even nailed. Then I found my right foot and leg going thru the ceiling below (along with a sh...it load of cellulose.

RJDalga
    http://homeanalysts.com
    Kalamazoo, MI

Either I'm seeing this picture wrong or I misunderstood the instructor of the residential structural class I took a few years ago...

That's a brace to provide resistance agaisnt forces on the gable end of the house (mainly wind). Due to fire-blocking requirements the wall studs must be split between the top level and attic. This creates a hinge point at the top plate, particularly if/when wind hits the gable end.

I've seen these braces off of every gable end from houses built in the 40's until modern day....

The fact that this thread has been up for a few days and I'm just now bringing this up is making me think I learned something incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    Either I'm seeing this picture wrong
    Yep.

That's a brace to provide resistance agaisnt forces on the gable end of the house (mainly wind).
    That is not a diagonal brace.

Due to fire-blocking requirements the wall studs must be split between the top level and attic. This creates a hinge point at the top plate, particularly if/when wind hits the gable end.
    Nope, not a requirement.

In fact, in high wind areas, balloon framing is preferred as that makes the studs go from the foundation to the roof, allowing the ceiling framing (if done correctly) to serve as a diaphragm to support the studs at the ceiling level.

Of course, though, the balloon framing studs would need to be fire blocked at the ceiling line.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I wish I could remember what he was talking about then.....

If balloon framing isn't ruled out, do they sometimes not balloon frame, thus the need for the angled support strut?

Matt
    That ridge pole has nothing to do with bracing the gable end of the roof, but rather was a temporary support for ridge/rafter framing during construction as Brian indicated.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Sorry.... I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the angled braces going from the inside of the gable to the lower truss cord or attic floor joists (what I thought the picture was of).

And taking the question further... are gabled ends always ballooned framed or do they split the studs at the upper plate sometimes?

Thanks!

Matt
    Again, I am not familiar with employing angled bracing for gable-end framing or why they would be required? In California balloon framing was discontinued in the late 1930s and because there was little if any fire-blocking installed between floors it was a good thing. Our problem out here on the left coast is not tornados and cyclones, but rather seismic events.
    Perhaps the 2 diagrams better show the difference between balloon framing and platform framing.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

David Banks Guest

Sorry.... I should have been more clear. I'm talking about the angled braces going from the inside of the gable to the lower truss cord or attic floor joists (what I thought the picture was of).

And taking the question further... are gabled ends always ballooned framed or do they split the studs at the upper plate sometimes?

Thanks!
    The pic is deceiving but that looks like an entrance to another part of the attic or above a garage.
    Gable end walls and shed dormer front walls are often Balloon framed but can be stick framed similar to second floor but with double plate and sheathing nailed to bottom plate. They also have hold downs with threaded rods or metal straps in Seismic areas. Different areas would have their own requirements due to wind shear I believe. Framers like to balloon frame gable at same time so they can lift the whole wall in one piece sheathed and all.

http://www.sbcindustry.com/images/pu...16q3ecj5k023fg

If balloon framing isn't ruled out, do they sometimes not balloon frame,
    Most of the time.

thus the need for the angled support strut?
    Yes, it is needed 'most of the time'.

In fact, in some high wind areas, even with balloon framing, you would want diagonal braces at the gable ends. Better yet, though, build hip roofs.

By the way, the better way to install diagonal braces is to go from the bottom of the gable end / top plate of the wall below the gable end and angle up to the roof sheathing / truss top chords. Makes an excellent triangulation and reinforces the hinge point at the bottom of the gable end. The roof sheathing ties it all together and transfers the load down to the walls.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com