David Block Guest

Default Wrong size vent pipe?

Why is it when a home owner replaces a mid efficiency furnace with a high efficiency furnace, the vent pipe that use to vent both the water heater and furnace is left in place to now only vent the water heater? Isn't the water heater vent pipe suppose to be the same size as the opening on the drafthood? I see this often and can't figure out why nobody else seems to have a problem with it.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Wrong size vent pipe?

You're right to have a problem with it. The flue is now oversized and that's probably why the stain is there - excessive condensation because the WH can't heat up that flue pipe.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: Wrong size vent pipe?

You're right David. I see this all the time as well. Either the installer of the new heating system doesn't recognize it or the homeowner can't understand why they'll need to drop $1,000+ on relining their chimney to ensure the water heater will draft properly. As your picture shows, there is a condensate/corrosion issue on the bottom of that flue pipe and the wall.

My guess is that the service people installing the systems are not thinking about how any changes they make with the current setups will affect future performance of the now-orphaned water heater and flue.