Thread: 2 year old roof

william siegel Guest

Default 2 year old roof

roof passed all county inspections. How would you write this up. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Re: 2 year old roof

"Improper and unprofessional application of tar at flashing areas and roof penetrations - tar seals are temporary and will eventually leak - improper termination of asphalt shingles at overlap with stone aggregate roof surface - have roofs serviced by a professional roofer and all repairs made as needed."

David Banks Guest

William. I Ditto Nick. The flat roof looks in poor condition.

william siegel Guest

The flat roof is shot. I dont know why they didnt replace it when theyrreplaced the main roof. There should be no need for the tar seals. I am wondering if this is how they install in a different part of the country. A lot of these roofs werer put on by out of staters after Hurricane Wilma.

The roofer is either brain-dead or a major stock holder in Henrys?
    http://www.henry.com/fileadmin/pdf/d...3_techdata.pdf

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Daniel Stone Guest

Good God!
    Classic case of good materials going to waste. Probably nailed improperly too.

Ditto what others have said but I have a comment/question.
    Of course it passed municipal inspection, it probably looks good from the ground. Am I being too cynical or do municipal inspectors actually have ladders and go up?
    Just curious. I can assure they don't up here.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

william siegel Guest

markus,

They do not carry their own ladders - too much liability I guess. Most of the time they do not go up on the roof (although now that it has slowed down after the hurricanes more of them are going up), but they will fail the inspection if there is not ladder left by the roofer, and sometimes they will fail it if the ladder is not secured to the roof at the eave or gutter.

Looks like typical roof work!
    Just like the roofs fond here: Roof

Bill,
    The reason that the flat roof wasn't done is because a permit wasn't pulled, just a guess.
    The city inspectors do not generally go on the roof, although they make you strap a ladder to your roof. They also do not go in the attic to check on the nailing. They rely on an affidavit from the roofer.

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Bill, WOW, that sure is different than here.
    In the city there is no one coming out to look. In the burbs, depending on which one, maybe an appointment.
    Usually in the burbs, the muni insp wants to know what day a roofer is starting so they can verify 15# felt and ice/water shield 1st 3 feet up from gutter line. After that they 'might' do another drive-by.
    As far as not passing a roof, it has to look really bad from the ground.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Kade Guest

A question i've never got an answer to: If an inspector comes on my jobsite, and climbs on the roof, should they be required to wear the same safety gear my employees/subs have to? (harness, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    A question i've never got an answer to: If an inspector comes on my jobsite, and climbs on the roof, should they be required to wear the same safety gear my employees/subs have to? (harness, etc.)

It's your jobsite, you can dictate any policy you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kade View Post
    A question I've never got an answer to: If an inspector comes on my job site, and climbs on the roof, should they be required to wear the same safety gear my employees/subs have to? (harness, etc.)

It may be your "job site", but it may not be your home. It would most likely be the homeowners decision if he wanted the inspector to take off his shirt, put on shorts and tar stained sneakers, then traipse around on a new roof.

To be serious, I haven't seen any "safety devices" worn by any roofers or their crews on any single story roof. For that matter, second story as well.
    I have seen some use safety harnesses on hi-rise buildings, but that is about it.

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

I believe the OSHA requirements are only for employee's of a company, and not for an owner. Most home inspector's are owner's of the company and would not be required to wear the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom D'Agostino View Post
    It's your jobsite, you can dictate any policy you want.
    You "can", but if you want your inspection ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com