Post Checking for asbestos floor tiles not easy - Mortage 101

InspectionNews has just found the following information that might be of interest to you:

Checking for asbestos floor tiles not easy
    Mortage 101 - 1 hour ago
    Another problem posed by the lifting of carpets is that the scope of a home inspection would be expanded beyond its current definition. ...

More...

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Default Re: Checking for asbestos floor tiles not easy - Mortage 101

I agree with Barry.

While I have lifted corners of carpet (usually to check for hardwood flooring), I have many times torn some of the fibers in the process. There have been times when I was not able to lift the corner.

When asked about lifting carpet, I usually tell my clients that they can borrow my pliers, but I'm not going to be doing the lifting.

The age of the house alone will put one on notice that there is a potential for having asbestos containing building materials present (and lead paint). The are many types of flooring besides the 9x9's that contain asbestos, so just seeing some vinyl flooring that is NOT 9x9 does not mean it is asbestos free.
    JF

Also asbestos tiles are not considered friable, meaning they do not let asbestos dust off into the air.

Removal and disposal is an issue though.
    Covering up is the best bet.

And also the mastic used for vinyl flooring may contain asbestos.

Jack, I think you have said previously that you used to see positive test results for 9X9 tiles that were vinyl/asphalt rather as well as the vinyl/asbestos. Do you recommend further testing or just leave in place or what.
    I verbally warn clients that the flooring contractor may want to remove the older vinyl sheet flooring along WITH the underlayment due to the possibility of asbestos, which obviously raises the cost. I usually don't put that in the report, though. Any good verbiage out there for the 9X9 tile scenario?

Quote Originally Posted by neal lewis View Post
    And also the mastic used for vinyl flooring may contain asbestos.

Jack, I think you have said previously that you used to see positive test results for 9X9 tiles that were vinyl/asphalt rather as well as the vinyl/asbestos. Do you recommend further testing or just leave in place or what.
    I verbally warn clients that the flooring contractor may want to remove the older vinyl sheet flooring along WITH the underlayment due to the possibility of asbestos, which obviously raises the cost. I usually don't put that in the report, though. Any good verbiage out there for the 9X9 tile scenario?
    This is what I say "I found 9x9 inch flooring tiles ___Fill in the location___. This size and type tile most likely contain asbestos(ACM). The only way to be 100% sure that it does or does not contain asbestos is to have it tested by a qualified EPA and State certified testing company. As the new owner you need to be aware that removal of this tile needs to be done by a professional abatement contractor."

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In all of the testing I did in the 80's, I NEVER found a 9x9 that did not contain asbestos. The adhesive also contained asbestos at times.

Of course, I also found it in sheet goods flooring, wall material, ceiling material, etc.
    JF

Stephen Masek Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    many types of flooring besides the 9x9's that contain asbestos, so just seeing some vinyl flooring that is NOT 9x9 does not mean it is asbestos free.
    JF
    Thanks for stating that. Old vinyl floor tile in any size might contain asbestos. Specifically, there are many 12" x 12" tiles which contain asbestos, contrary to what some may think.

I've got 9X9 tiles in my basement. They look like what is called "Commercial floor tile". Some (maybe a dozen) have come up. I'd like to repair the current floor but it seems 9X9 tiles can't be bought.

The high possibility there is asbestos in the tiles should'nt be a problem if the floor is in good condition, I understand.

Where can you get 9X9 tiles?

They don't make 9x9 tiles any longer. The industry standard changed to 12x12 a few decades ago. You can use an old paper cutter and slice down 12x12 tiles to 9x9 if you want. You will have to match the thickness though.

Be careful scraping or sanding the black adhesive that they used. That stuff almost certainly contains asbestos.

I recommend filling the low spots with leveling compound where tiles are damaged and then laying sheet vinyl over the whole works.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

The last time I checked, a licensed asbestos abatement company around here was charging $2.50 a square foot for removal.

Vinyl Floor Tile (640x483).jpg

Mike Lamb
    Inspection Connection, Inc.
    http://www.inspection2020.com/