David Chapman Guest

Default Any Leaking problem with different layers/colors on the concrete fundation wall?

I am house hunting, and fell in love with this newly built 2-story single family house, with unfinished basement.

The basement wall is a concern (see attached picture). It's poured concrete, however looks like a three-layer cake. And the top layer has a darker color. Not surprisingly, the builder doesn't have any convincing explanations.

Can anyone advise what happened? Is this a serious issue? May lead to leaking or seepaging?

the wall seems dry (there is a dehumidifier in the basement), and the dark layer doesn't seem to be caused by water damage, instead, it seems like a different type of concrete was used. I am from New Jersey.

Thanks a bunch!
    Mike

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: Any Leaking problem with different layers/colors on the concrete fundation wall?

That looks like they got a new truck load of concrete in as they were pooring the foundation. if the home is more then 10 years old and there
    is no other condition then it looks like its not an issue to me.

if you have more photos upload them. but this looks ok to me.

Best

Ron
    Excellence Exterminating and Thermal Imaging

David Chapman Guest

Default Re: Any Leaking problem with different layers/colors on the concrete fundation wall?

It's a new construction. The concrete along the joint line between two layers has serveral broken spots. Will it be a potential leaking problem? or even a foundation-structure problem?
    Should I walk away from this house?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Patrick Norton Guest

The layering is due to the cold joints between concrete trucks when they poured the walls. As long as you have the proper reinforcing steel in the wall it won't be a problem. If there are any leaks at the joints you could inject the joints and/or cracks with urethane under high pressure.

By just looking at the picture it looks OK to me.

Jim Zborowski Guest

Just what I was going to say.....looks like cold joints with different mixes.

Yes, probably multiple cold joint pours ...
    Hmmm ... I have any idea. How about hiring one of the good, educated qualified home inspectors on this board who work in your area to do an inspection.
    Just a thought, what do I know?

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"