Default Soot at Center flue

I had a chimney yesterday that looks a little strange to me, but there was nothing visible on the interior that would indicate any issues. The center flue on this chimney is venting the oil burning furnace in the basement. Should I be concerned about the soot markings going down the exterior of the chimney. Furnace was recently serviced and given the go ahead.

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Soot at Center flue

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    Should I be concerned about the soot markings going down the exterior of the chimney.
    Reis,

There appears to be a breach in the chimney allowing the escape of flue gases going up the chimney.

Cracks in the brick & liner.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I see what appears to be a small crack in the liner where creosote has been diluted with water and leaked out. Hard to tell. Did you look down the flue. A pic of the inside is always a good idea. Your there anyway. And at times like these!!

I did look down the flue and aside from some scalling at the tile liner there did not appear to be any significant cracks. I wrote up the flue cap needed to be remortared and further eval by a qual contractor, so hopefully I'll be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Reis Pearson View Post
    I did look down the flue and aside from some scalling at the tile liner there did not appear to be any significant cracks. I wrote up the flue cap needed to be remortared and further eval by a qual contractor, so hopefully I'll be covered.
    Just a point of clarification on "significant" cracks.

If a vitreous clay flue liner is cracked, it is defective as per NFPA 211.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's "only a hairline crack".

Sincerely,
    A. Bart Ogden, President
    Home Safe Hearth & Chimney, Inc.
    Wichita, KS
    Voice 316-265-9828
    Fax 316-265-9890
    www.HomeSafeKS.com