Default What is the history and or reason for water heaters in attics in Texas homes ?

I am new to the forum and must admit I do not understand the reason for water heaters installed in attics ? Is it for space saving or utilization of space ?

Thanks

Gene in Dallas

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: What is the history and or reason for water heaters in attics in Texas homes ?

Square footage costs money or makes money. If they move the heater to the garage, they have room for one more closet. That and we don't have basements. It would not be done in a house I built (that I was calling the shots on) and neither would the HVAC be stuffed in the hell hole we call attics.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: What is the history and or reason for water heaters in attics in Texas homes ?

As Jim mentioned it is all about sq. footage.

WH in the attic is "dead space".

I personally don't see the issue with them myself being in the attic. I see more issues with WH's in a garage closet than I do of WH's in the attic it seems.

It always get mentioned about the issue if the WH leaks. They are all going to leak sometime, so make precautions for it.

Many don't even pay attention at the WH located in a closet at a downstairs level so it really doesn't matter much.

I have (2) in the attic. I check them every month when I replace my HVAC filters on my attic mounted HVAC units also. Adding the WAGG valve device is the best money one could spend on WH's in the attic space for sure.

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

I think the idea originated with the lenders who wanted to find a way to remind homebuyers that getting in ...over their heads...could get them into...hot water.

Okay, you can shoot me, now.

Aaron Miller Guest

They are in the attic to save s.f. in the living space which they can charge for. They also do not fare as well in the attic space due to elevated moisture levels in ambient air in a hot/humid climate.

Aaron

To give another perspective on it, but not be "Texas", the history of water heaters being installed in the attic in South Florida was that is how the water was heated.

Originally, the water heater were simply placed on the roof and painted black to catch the solar heat from the sun, some of the more expensive houses 'hid' the water heater in a chimney like structure around the water heater and they put either a galvanized pan roof on it or made a decorative roof over the 'chimney like structure'.

Later, they started using electricity to heat the water, and water heaters came down off the roof, and many out of the attics.

Then, decades later (like 5-6 decades later) square foot costs became the reason water heater started going back into the attic. In South Florida, though, most water heaters are still in the garage instead of the attic.

I have no idea if a similar reason applied to Texas in the old days, because you guys also have 'cold' weather to deal with, and South Florida does not, cold weather would defeat having the water heater on the roof or in the attic for solar heating purposes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

As Jerry said, it is not just a Texas thing. You will find water heaters in attic throughout the South. Major reason now is for space.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Aaron Miller Guest

I have no idea if a similar reason applied to Texas in the old days
    ECJ:

I'm not as old as you, but I have been around the Dallas area since '52. Never saw a water heater on the roof. Could have been back when this area was on the coast several hundred million years ago . . . you might know. If not, ask Scott.

Aaron

Cool Re: What is the history and or reason for water heaters in attics in Texas homes ?

Texas water heaters in attics had something to do with General Santa Ana and bean dip I heard? Out here in California a water heater installed within an attic eventually relocates itself into the foundation crawl space especially if the home has been built anywhere near the San Andreas fault.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant