Dee Smalley Guest

Default Hello from the Texas Hill Country

My wife and I are new members. Our business name is The House Detective and we are located in Canyon Lake in the Texas Hill Country. My wife retired from the federal government and we relocated so are basically starting our business from scratch. We joined to get ideas from our fellow inspection community about how to get our name out there and, well, how to get some business. Any and all suggestions are appreciated and thanks for welcoming us to your community.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

David Banks Guest

Default Re: Hello from the Texas Hill Country

Welcome. Lots of good information here in the archives. Do a search on top tool bar. Or on left Message Board-Board archive.
    Where the hell is Canyon Lake in Texas.

Dee Smalley Guest

Hi, David and thanks for the welcome. Canyon Lake is about half way between Austin and San Antonio. The nearest town is called New Braunfels, Texas. If you google it you will see it is surrounded by rivers, hills and lakes. A really nice place to be, we think.

David Banks Guest

Sounds nice. I will google it.

Dee Smalley Guest

As a new home inspector, well almost one year now but starting over, we have already read some great and helpful information on Inspection News. Especially helpful are tips on marketing our business. I am so glad we hooked up with so many good and helpful people.

Welcome to the board Mr. Smalley.

Dee Smalley Guest

Thank you so much for your welcome. My wife lived in Rockwall many years ago. Before the new bridge was built she said. I have already found some great information that is really helpful to someone trying to build their own home inspection business. I am thankful I found a place where I can learn from others with more experience than I have and also with different experiences. Thanks, again.

Dee,

With the new bridge across the lake the traffic has improved greatly.

We aren't thought of being way out in east Texas like some people in Dallas thought of.

Tell her she wouldn't probably recognize it now. Growth everywhere around the water front and I-30.

I almost drown in New Braunfels once, but thats another story for another day.

rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Best to you all from Calif. I put the in another post. Its good stuff.

You need to get one on one with every person that can use you services.

Bottom line. You need to do this every day and keep your contacts alive. get your cards and a flyer. go out on saturday and sunday to open house and get one on one with the agent. you will have them in a box and they can't leave. Sell your self. you must meet this one point. you need to find out what each person needs. If you do that you will get work.
    Miss that point and well thats it. find out what they need. another sure thing is to get them some work. say a listing opp. or a New buyer.
    some one you known that needs a home.
    keep your eyes open and always be looking for a need and then meet that need. 101. This has work for me for some 30 years.

I just look for others need and then Meet the need.

Best

Ron
    Excellence Exterminating and Thermal Imaging

Welcome to the best HI board. Your neighbor to the west.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Dee Smalley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    Best to you all from Calif. I put the in another post. Its good stuff.

You need to get one on one with every person that can use you services.

Bottom line. You need to do this every day and keep your contacts alive. get your cards and a flyer. go out on saturday and sunday to open house and get one on one with the agent. you will have them in a box and they can't leave. Sell your self. you must meet this one point. you need to find out what each person needs. If you do that you will get work.
    Miss that point and well thats it. find out what they need. another sure thing is to get them some work. say a listing opp. or a New buyer.
    some one you known that needs a home.
    keep your eyes open and always be looking for a need and then meet that need. 101. This has work for me for some 30 years.

I just look for others need and then Meet the need.

Best

Ron
    Excellence Exterminating and Thermal Imaging
    Ron,

I am going to do exactly what you told me. I was just going to do a mass card and brochure mailing to all realtors but after reading this I realize that is the wrong way to go about it. Expensive brochures directly into trash cans. I know that one on one is the best way to deal with people in general, not sure why I forgot that when selling my services. Thanks for the much needed reminder.

Dee Smalley

Ron Bibler Guest

Just find out what the need is. Every person has a need. do they need an inspection at 6AM. Can you be there ? find out the Need.

Best

Ron

William Brady Guest

Welcome Dee,

I passed through your area around Christmas coming back from Austin. Beautiful country. You are in the right spot to get the information needed to get started. Lots of Texans on this site. Good luck.

Carl Winters Guest

Smile Re: Hello from the Texas Hill Country

Howdy Neighbor!
    Dee: Sorry we are so late in reviewing your thread question. Welcome to the area. Let me encourage you to get out in the community and meet your neighbors. Building the business is getting to know people in your community. Get involved in community activities.
    Carl & Ceil Winters
    Canyon Lake, TX

Dee Smalley Guest

Thank you so much Carl. I know you have been in business here for a long time as I see you ads quite a bit. We have just found a home to buy and have been busy doing the moving thing but now we are getting settled in. We have joined the Chamber of Commerce and met some great people through the chamber. We will join the Canyon Lake Realtors Association this month and hopefully start getting to know some folks. I have met some nice people through the Canyon Lake United Methodist Church also. Any ideas are much appreciated as I am sure you know that getting a new business going is quite a challenge. We love it here and are so glad we made this move. Dee and Kay Smalley