Jerome W. Young Guest

Default doubled service wires/ JERRY!

Here is the scenario:

rewired home; has been wired to support a generator; the 400 amp main is located in the generator panel; the wiring from the meter to the 400 amp main is [2] 1 AWG service wires double tapped into the 400 amp breaker; the wires leave this 400 amp breaker and service what was the old main service and now is a non service equipment panel which still has a 300 amp breaker- the wires are also double tapped into this breaker. The neutrals and grounds have been floated. My concern is with the #1 awg rating at 150 amp max or total of 300 max between the meter and the 400 amp main breaker and with the double tapping. What all is wrong with this scenario? hope the pictures help.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: doubled service wires/ JERRY!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W. Young View Post
    Here is the scenario:

rewired home; has been wired to support a generator; the 400 amp main is located in the generator panel; the wiring from the meter to the 400 amp main is [2] 1 AWG service wires double tapped into the 400 amp breaker; the wires leave this 400 amp breaker and service what was the old main service and now is a non service equipment panel which still has a 300 amp breaker- the wires are also double tapped into this breaker.
    So far ...

Those two 1 AWG go from one breaker to another breaker, acting as parallel conductors. Do I have that right? *IF SO*, then that is not allowed as the minimum size for parallel conductors is 1/0 AWG.

Then you also have multiple tapped terminals which I doubt are rated for two conductors - so connecting parallel conductors there is not allowed even if two 1/0 were used.

The above makes everything else moot as these need to be replaced with the proper conductors, which will change the rest of the items anyway.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerome
    It's a major “CF” and I'd recommend a state licensed electrical contractor for a full evaluation and that he/she provide a cost estimate for corrective work ASAP!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Jerome W. Young Guest

cf

I believe he means cluster f#@#--- that's what I'm figgerin.