Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Report Writing Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    I use Dragon 10 extensively when building the reports back in my office. It's a real time saver and does not make spelling mistakes! It takes a bit of getting used to to add the proper punctuation and such but I'm used to that process.

I tried using it in the field for a while but it was too cumbersome and I would rather use my notes and my pictures as my memory and produce a much better report under more calm and quite conditions of my home office.
    Thanks Dana for the review. P.S. I was reading another thread where you said you sent your clients a disposable camera and a recorder and had them do the inspection and you put the report together from there for $69.95 - Hilarious !!!!!

Jim Hintz

Inspection Referral

Malcolm Hund Guest

I am new to the inspection business. I have decided I want to use a pocket pc to enter info during the inspection and build my report as I go. I am having a difficult time deciding on a good software program to use - mainly because I am a newbie to the business and don't know what I want!. I have read all the related forum messages, but there are no recent (within the last year) messages to read that would give more up-to-date recommendations. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Hund View Post
    I am new to the inspection business. I have decided I want to use a pocket pc to enter info during the inspection and build my report as I go. I am having a difficult time deciding on a good software program to use - mainly because I am a newbie to the business and don't know what I want!. I have read all the related forum messages, but there are no recent (within the last year) messages to read that would give more up-to-date recommendations. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Mal
    I'm a "geek" and have tried every way of collecting data and getting it into the report. I even used speech recognition for a while as an experiment.

I use a narrative style report (3-D) as opposed to a check box style and the fastest way I found was with a slate type Tablet PC with excellent handwriting recognition. I could modify or expand on my pre-set comments very easily.

The portability of a handheld PPC is alluring but the data entry for text sucks to put is bluntly. They lend themselves to check box style reporting if that's what you will use. 3-D even has a "pocket" version but the transfer process is a bit cumbersome and you STILL need to finish the report on a laptop or desktop and add pictures. Why add the extra steps? cut to the chase and "git er done"!
    Good Luck

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Check out the CTL2Go at 2go NL2 Hi-Res/3G as an alternative to a PDA.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Tom Mcdonald Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    IMHO, those computer program things are way too expensive. I've developed a method that works real well. i just send the client a disposable camera and a cheap voice recorder. The included instructions tell them to walk around the house and look at things and if it doesn't look right, take a picture and make a comment into the recorder. When they are done, they send it to me and I write it up. Only $69.95 And if there's a "miss", THEY did it, not me!
    I think this will work.
    Dana
    I had to have a tooth removed last week, The dentist sent me a pair of pliers and some advil. It was cheap too but it hurt like hell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12