Default CMU's and veneer face brick. No lintle above double doors?

I've been watching threads for a couple of days and have been very impressed with all of your opinions and professional manors. Please have patients with me as I am new at the forum thing.

I inspected a house today, built in 1990, 6125 sf. Not the first time it has been sold. Single story extension to the main house, has walk-out basement beneath, with double doors leading to the patio at ground level. Basement is CMU with veneer face brick. Block extends from the ground to first floor sill. Brick veneer is from the ground to the roof, with a window in the same load line as the door. The brick veneer has a steel lintel above the double doors in the basement, but the block is supported by 2X4’s, not built as a header. A small horizontal crack has developed in the mortar joint of the first course of block above the door. The 2X4’s have noticeable sag. My guess is that the brick ties are helping hold the block up?

Questions are: if this is wrong how did it get past inspections? Should I recommend PE and stand back, or recommend general contractor install steel lintel?

Safe track would be to turn it over to PE but feel it is only CYA tactic.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: CMU's and veneer face brick. No lintle above double doors?

Vern, we need pics.

I thought I attached 3. I'll try again... Clicked on upload photos to no avail? First post it looked like they were attached? I'll log off and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Heiler View Post
    I thought I attached 3. I'll try again... Clicked on upload photos to no avail? First post it looked like they were attached? I'll log off and try again.
    Vern,

There is a size limit on uploaded photos.

I use the Free version of Bome's Image Resizer. Had to try a couple of resize options to meet the size limit.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Second try at sending pic's. Had to complete report with safe "recommend further investigation by licensed PE", due to time restraint and I hope good sense. Here are pic's to satisfy any who are courious. I will let you know what PE says if I can.

Tried to send pic resized to 800 X 600.. What am I doing wrong?

Check the pictures and see how many kbytes they are, sometimes 800x600 will end up being a little over the limit still.

If some one could tell me step by step, how you send a picture, I would be forever greatful.
    I have gone to the "Additional Options" clicked "upload photos" Selected a pic from MyPictures (300 X 2??) 47Kb. Every thing looks like it will be sent but no banana???

Oops! Didn't know I had to click upload again. Here are a couple of pic's. As I said I have had to send report (everybody in a rush).

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Looks like the lintel is missing.

Looks like improper/insufficient support.
    Vern as a recommendation from one HI to another, based on experience and our (IL) rules. You can't and shouldn't tell them 'how' to fix it. They are too many possible ways to repair almost anything depending on various decisions the parties involved make. Just tell them what's wrong, possible outcomes due to, and/or possible options.
    Just what I do. Good luck

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"