Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default NACHI New Member Drive

It must be that time of year. I received this e-mail today:

"Hello! I am writing with a special offer from the National Association of Certified Home Inspectors. We are a great organization helping promote and educate Home inspectors, and anyone in the inspection field. I am
    writing to offer you a discount on a NACHI membership! The benefits are OUT OF THIS WORLD! You can only get this discount by contacting me at this
    e-mail: ***********@nachi.org.

NACHI supports its members and provides numerous benefits. Once you join, you’ll see how great the NACHI family is. Please e-mail if you are interested in this great offer, or if you have any questions. I do appreciate your time!

NACHI staff

* I see you are a member of NAHI, but NACHI has so much to offer, I wanted to go ahead & say hello. We have continuing education seminars all over the US. And plenty of inspectors have dual memberships. Let me know if
    you are interested. Thanks!"

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: NACHI New Member Drive

Here you go Nick...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Deleted Account Guest

Is there any truth to the rumor that Nick will be hosting an "Ask NACHI" thread on this very message board?

Last edited by Deleted Account; 04-25-2007 at 07:14 AM.

Nick,

The comment about your being a NAHI member was in the email? Seems quite strange that it was so personalized.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

David Banks Guest

"A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." ~ Thomas Jefferson

He was a slave owner.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

You got me Eric. I guess the personalized touch is intended to install a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Steve Brooten Guest

Wink Re: NACHI New Member Drive

I feel so left out. I didn't get any message...

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post
    "A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor and bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government." ~ Thomas Jefferson

He was a slave owner.
    Explain to me what that has to do with anything?

Richard Stanley Guest

Last time I looked over there, they were "limiting" the membership to only 10,000 and were weeding out the deadwood to make room for the multitudes waiting to join.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Stanley View Post
    Last time I looked over there, they were "limiting" the membership to only 10,000 and were weeding out the deadwood to make room for the multitudes waiting to join.

With the demise of the housing boom and the relentless pursuit of licensing legislation everywhere it is highly likely that membership has suffered a blow across all organizations.

Once licensing is established everywhere though chances are real good associations will become powerless and most likely obsolete, well at least those national associations who traded the control of their SoP for a bowl of porridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Brooten View Post
    I feel so left out. I didn't get any message...
    Me neither.......

Finally

Eric Van De Ven Magnum Inspections Inc. (772) 214-9929
    www.magnuminspections.com
    I still get paid to be suspicious when I got nothing to be suspicious about!

Matt Hawley Guest

NACHI is a great Home Inspection Org. The education they provide their members is great.

Its to bad there is so much bashing between the HI Orgs. I think all the Orgs are great and anyone who is a member of one is doing so to gain more knowledge and better themselves, and to help each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hawley View Post
    NACHI is a great Home Inspection Org. The education they provide their members is great.

Its to bad there is so much bashing between the HI Orgs. I think all the Orgs are great and anyone who is a member of one is doing so to gain more knowledge and better themselves, and to help each other.
    You forgot to mention deceiving the public.

Captain

Matt Hawley Guest

Mitch,

The public could care less what Org. one belongs too. I'd say about 98% of the time they haven't heard of any of the the Orgs anyways.

I have enjoyed my NACHI membership.

Brian Kelly Guest

Smile Re: NACHI New Member Drive

Mitch,

The public could care less what Org. one belongs too. I'd say about 98% of the time they haven't heard of any of the the Orgs anyways.

Me too.

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

me too

Smile Re: NACHI New Member Drive

Heck if we are going to give a plug for HI orgs.

My experience has been that 50% of my customers that hired me from my monthly direct mailing stated.. one of the reasons they hired me was due to my membership in ASHI..

In 16 years of inspecting, I may have had 10-20 who even asked, and before I was ASHI, they accepted that I was not, and after I quit ASHI, they accepted that I was not.

I think it all depends on how you promote yourself.

If you promote yourself as "ASHI", "NAHI", "NACHI", they will probably say 'Yeah, that's why I hired you, because you are ... ', when they really do not know much (or anything) about the organization you belongs to, only that you said you belonged to some organization and they think 'oh, that must be a good thing'.

If you promote yourself for what you can do, they really do not care what organization you belong to, if any - it's 'can you do what you say you can, and, if you can, you've got my business and that of all of my friends'. That's the way I promoted myself, and that's how I got my clients - from those referrals.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I think it all depends on how you promote yourself.

Very true Jerry.
    I found taking advantage of belonging to a professional org and having an org website where I can refer my customers to is a valuable tool.
    The ones that hired me, instead of another inspector, hired me partially due to that tool.
    After that it's up to me to prove myself and earn the 90 plus % referal rate that I enjoy every month..

Mitch,

So then why do you promote yourself as NACHI on the web and promote yourself as certified on the web?

I could care less about your affiliations I care more about the consumer who thinks he is getting a certified or even a certified master inspector who has never done ONE inspection.

Captain

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Captain View Post
    I care more about the consumer who thinks he is getting a certified or even a certified master inspector who has never done ONE inspection.

Captain
    Do you care about the New York consumer who will be paying full price for a home inspection from a "licensed home inspector" who has never done ONE inspection?

You must be taking the maximum dose of anti-depressants just to get by these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Hempelstern View Post
    Do you care about the New York consumer who will be paying full price for a home inspection from a "licensed home inspector" who has never done ONE inspection?

You must be taking the maximum dose of anti-depressants just to get by these days.

All things are created equal, some are just 'more equal' than others.

If you knew Mitchell, you would realize he is 'more equal' than you ... anti-depressants or no.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

A state passes a licensing law. Four schools open to train new home inspectors and prepare them for the license. Four to six weeks later, 200 "licensed" and trained home inspectors hit the streets with a shirt pocket full of coupons looking for their first inspection.

Right next to this "licensed" home inspector is the "licensed" home inspector who has been in business for 15 years. What is the consumer to think? Are they not both equally qualified in the eyes of their state?

Mr. Captain and others are being disingenuous if they do not oppose licensing of home inspectors with the same fervor that they oppose the handful of NACHI inspectors who may be looking for their first home inspection.

Last edited by Harvey Hempelstern; 05-02-2007 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Correcting grammer

"A state passes a licensing law. Four schools open to train new home inspectors and prepare them for the license. Four to six weeks later, 200 "licensed" and trained home inspectors hit the streets with a shirt pocket full of coupons looking for their first inspection."

And that's worse than a home inspector association turning out hundreds of untrained "certified" inspector who only have to pass a non-proctored on-line test?

You've really stepped into it deep there.

"Right next to this "licensed" home inspector is the "licensed" home inspector who has been in business for 15 years. What is the consumer to think? Are they not both equally qualified in the eyes of their state?"

Oh, you are afraid a untrained but "licensed" home inspector is going to take business away from an untrained but "certified" home inspector?

What have you been smoking, my friend?

"Mr. Captain and others are being disingenuous if they do not oppose licensing of home inspectors with the same fervor that they oppose the handful of NACHI inspectors who may be looking for their first home inspection."

No, those who are *not* from that home inspector organization seem to have a better grip on what licensing can do than those who only paid (if they paid) a couple of hundred bucks and passed a nonsensical on-line test and call themselves "certified", or, worse yet, call themselves "Certified Master Inspector".

Those from that home inspector association see their "certification" and fees paid for that "Certified Master Inspector" going up in smoke.

Now, it will really be up to each inspector to differentiate themselves as the better "licensed" inspector, once the "certified" crapola falls by the wayside.

Why do you think Joe B. is fighting it so hard? Joe has invested a lot to 'cover his bases'. Once licensing is in, those investments will be for naught, unless he can use them to separate himself from the other "licensed" home inspectors in his area.

Heck, I'm retired, but *I HAVE BEEN* in the business long enough to still get licensed, maybe I will do that. I wonder if license number 007 has already been claimed?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

David Banks Guest

I do not remember ever being asked if I belong to an organization. Maybe once or by a Realtor.

Harvey Hempelstern Guest

It amazes me, Mr. Peck, how one could be as wrong as you are in your facts...and still be such a bully in presenting them.

Is your retirement voluntary?

Harvey
    If you ask nicely I will share my stash of pills with you. However I do not have any logic pills to help you with reasoning.

In my state, my legislators just passed a home inspection bill. There was a clause that would have required the home inspector to give his client information as to how long and or how many inspections the inspector has done. Your NACHI board was full of "certified inspector " saying that was unfair, go figure.

Your NY example is a good one. The people of NY or any other state should realize that licensing does not equal competence. IF the client is dumb enough to pick your name out of the hat with no research for the biggest purchase of their life, well maybe Darwin was right.

Captain

I rarely have clients calling to research me. A vast majority are calling for price - the almighty Dollar has consumed their thought process.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

People don't call out of thin air. They get your name from someplace that is in part research. They may check you and three others on the web or get the names of inspectors from friends,realtor's or associations.
    Then the call all of them for prices because they think all inspectors,inspections are the same. Usually the lowest win unless you can explain in 60 or less seconds why it should be you.

Captain

Russel Ray Guest

In 6½ years, I've had 7 people ask me if I belonged to a trade association. All 7 of them asked lots of other questions, as well, leading me to believe that they were competitors checking me out.

I've enjoyed my NACHI membership much more so than I did my CREIA, ASHI, NAHI, AAHI, SPREI, HIF, and FREA memberships. I could have saved thousands of dollars if I had just joined NACHI first!

Thumbs down Re: NACHI New Member Drive

License is here to stay and ones that aren't will be. Get use to it. As far as associations I belong to one that was formed in this state and that's it. If your going to benefit from it it should be local.
    To top it off in 08 they are requiring Licenses for septic inspections. Who knows what will be next.
    License for septic is needed because there are to many so called septic inspectors that charge a outrages price and don't know squat.

Last edited by Mike Schulz; 05-07-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: spell check
    Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Captain View Post
    People don't call out of thin air. They get your name from someplace that is in part research. They may check you and three others on the web or get the names of inspectors from friends,realtor's or associations.
    Then the call all of them for prices because they think all inspectors,inspections are the same. Usually the lowest win unless you can explain in 60 or less seconds why it should be you.

Captain
    If you really believe what you say, I can garuntee that it will be true, for you. You can be the best inspector in the world, but if you're a naive or unpolished business person, you will fail.

We all were new once. Some of us have made it. Some haven't. Our reasons for success go beyond our Inspection skills.

When you get the call, Identify the price shoppers first. If their opening is "How much for....?", it doesn't mean absolutely that they are price shoppers. It may mean that they don't know what else to ask. But, if you ask, "Is your primary criteria price?", and they answer "yes", you know and you can make a decision to compete on that basis or to politely end the call.

If you or anyone else just wants to inspect, go to work for someone else. There is nothing shameful about that. If you want to have a successful business, learn some sales and marketing skills.

Regarding some State wanting to require that someone disclose how many jobs they have done, how silly? Every discipline, including politicians, have plenty of old timers with years of experience and who are worth no more at what they are supposed to be doing than the day they began. But. Ill bet none of them are bad salesmen.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

K Robertson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Walker View Post
    "When you get the call, Identify the price shoppers first. If their opening is "How much for....?", it doesn't mean absolutely that they are price shoppers. It may mean that they don't know what else to ask. But, if you ask, "Is your primary criteria price?", and they answer "yes", you know and you can make a decision to compete on that basis or to politely end the call.

If you or anyone else just wants to inspect, go to work for someone else. There is nothing shameful about that. If you want to have a successful business, learn some sales and marketing skills.

Well put and good advise on identifying the "price shoppers".
    In regards to memberships, I don't necessarily believe it's the membership that gives you credibility or education; it's how you apply the membership and how much you learn from the organization. I've talked to too many inspectors who pride themselves because they are XXX certified or member of xxx org but never attend meetings, never take advantage of training, never USE the membership.

While I may not post often, I spend about 10 hours a week reading the posts on this site and have learned SOOO much from the experience and expertise of many on this site. I have been in business for 11 months and can tell you learning will be never ending. The inspection I do this evening will be better than the one I did yesterday and the one next week will be better than the one tomorrow. Does that have anything to do with experience performing the inspection or memberships? No, it has to do with taking the time to educate myself on what I may have done wrong on the last one. From my experience over the last year, it's not about what you have, but how you use it.

I have never been asked one time about memberships. I have been asked several times about CE and ethics.

Matthew Bartels Guest

Talking Re: NACHI New Member Drive

How does one beome XXX certified.

That sounds much more fun than the NACHI test!

K Robertson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Bartels View Post
    How does one beome XXX certified.

That sounds much more fun than the NACHI test!
    LMAO! How's this instead "(insert association name here) certified". Maybe that would have been better wording... but then again, xxx certified would be more fun!

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Hmmm, an XXX.org tied to the Home Inspection industry. That has got to be interNachi's best marketing ploy yet.

Cool Re: NACHI New Member Drive

I believe Thom Walker put it very well.
    I also believe state licensing of just about anything results in "dumbing down" whatever is licensed and dramatically reduces HI association memberships, which is sad because this is where the majority of education comes from. Once licensed why spend the money to belong to anything? I have a fishing license and a driver's license, but I don't really keep up with the potential education related to such and I don't know anybody who does. If you check the states that have established HI licensing you can also check the dramatic decline in HI association memberships. I’ve always thought around 10% of the folks who enter our industry actually make a decent living at it and 10% of those derive a serious income. The other 90% are just passing through. However, I could be wrong?

JP; sorry, but I've already claimed #007.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    I also believe state licensing of just about anything results in "dumbing down" whatever is licensed and dramatically reduces HI association memberships...

When I say that "Licensing Solves Nothing"™ and will further hasten the demise of all HI associations the Peck-er heads in unison decry my existence and demand a pound of flesh be paid for blasphemy, with you they just lovingly bobble, curious.

David Nice Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Once licensing is established everywhere though chances are real good associations will become powerless and most likely obsolete, well at least those national associations who traded the control of their SoP for a bowl of porridge.
    I think one traded the SOP for a Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich!

Your point is probably right. For the most part, association memberships are already irrelevant to most consumers. Now it takes adding some real value to membership that will keep people joining and renewing. NACHI just keeps trying to continually add benefits. Some don't make it past the gate while others are genuinely excellent benefits that more than pay for the annual dues. For those that can take advantage of enough of those benefits, there are no good reasons not to join or renew.

There are people who keep drumbeating how NACHI is for newbies or NACHI is giving certifications to the unqualified. The problem is it is coming from people whose own credibility is questionable. Most people who matter don't listen toit anyway.

Last edited by David Nice; 09-03-2007 at 01:55 PM.