Default Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors

House bill # 1217 is now on the governors desk waiting for signature.

This will mean that Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors. That is two states so far this year! I'm betting that we will see maybe one more state this year passing licensing legislation.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Kevin Luce Guest

Default Re: Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors

How many states is that now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    I think this will make #35. Washington was the last state when it was signed last week and I think they were #34

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer Guest

Kevin Luice

Merge into one? ASHI in ashes now!

Steven Meyer Guest

Where would one get the list of which states are now "licensed" and which are not????

I am relocating, non license state would be good!!!

Is California licensed as of yet? Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I think this will make #35. Washington was the last state when it was signed last week and I think they were #34

Relocating to run from licensing? What are you afraid of?

Licensing hasn't changed the way I do business at all. Probably the biggest change for many was the need to get insurance. The second biggest hardship for many was the need to get continuing education. That really hurt the ones that thought they knew it all already.

I didn't want to be licensed - fought against it for close to ten years. But it's really not a big thing. That said, TN has a pretty decent law, and it hasn't changed in the past two years. Some States didn't have it as good.

I might think of moving to another State too, but not to run away from licensing. To each their own.
    JF

I think Steven is running from licencing because he most likely won't meet the entry requirements.

michael ivie Guest

Any suggestions on what courses may be approved to meet the 80 hours the state require's.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    Kevin Luice

Merge into one? ASHI in ashes now!

Don't believe all the propaganda some kool-aid drinking jack-asses are spewing.

Darren www.aboutthehouseinspections.com
    'Whizzing & pasting & pooting through the day (Ronnie helping Kenny helping burn his poots away!) (FZ)

michael ivie Guest

One other question. One of the two HI's inmy phonebook have a Georgia license number listed. How is that?

Michael P. O'Handley Guest

Hi,

Does Georgia require pest licenses or contractor licenses? The licensing law just passed here in Washington State and nobody will be required to have a license any earlier than Sept 1, 2009. However, most inspectors display their structural pest inspector license number, or, if they have one, a contractor's license number.

FWIW, after looking that bill over, I don't think any reasonably competent home inspector would have any reason to be afraid of it; the requirements aren't that tough and the time between passage (if it's signed) and implementation is such that most will probably be able to easily get the required hours, pass the tests, etc. before it kicks in.

At best, it will be an annoyance to most practicing inspectors and will force honest new folks coming into the business to have to at least get some training before hanging out a shingle. There is bound to be a small segment of those who are practicing at the time the bill is signed that will not be able to meet the requirements in time. It will be hardest for them. For those folks, probably the best thing that they can do is to begin working very hard toward completing as much of those requirements as possible, so that on the date of implementation they can show the board that they have been working earnestly toward the requirements and try and get an extension of the deadline.

Lastly, there will probably be a few who will howl and whine about it from signage all the way to implementation, who won't earnestly try and get as much of the requirements as possible completed by implementation date. When that day comes, they'll go to the board and complain that they didn't have enough time or were misinformed about the law and they will demand a waiver of the requirements. When they get turned down, they'll howl even louder and there are bound to be challenges to the law - at least that seems to have been the pattern in some other states.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Steven Meyer Guest

Am already licensed in the state I am returning to, have been for some time. Don't like it, but it is a fact of life and just another cost of doing business. Just a little tired of this licensing fraud, its a joke and solves nothing.

Leaving this state for the warmer weather of the south west, and I have an intense dislike for the politics of this "nanny" state, the ever increasing taxes, fees, business taxes, and its unfriendly business attitude.

Think we are a little to close to the northern boarder, politically getting more and more like them.

And RAYMOND WAND, I have no doubt that I would be able to pass any test or qualifications you license JUNKIES want to put out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    Relocating to run from licensing? What are you afraid of?

Licensing hasn't changed the way I do business at all. Probably the biggest change for many was the need to get insurance. The second biggest hardship for many was the need to get continuing education. That really hurt the ones that thought they knew it all already.

I didn't want to be licensed - fought against it for close to ten years. But it's really not a big thing. That said, TN has a pretty decent law, and it hasn't changed in the past two years. Some States didn't have it as good.

I might think of moving to another State too, but not to run away from licensing. To each their own.
    JF

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    I have an intense dislike for the politics of this "nanny" state, the ever increasing taxes, fees, business taxes, and its unfriendly business attitude.

Think we are a little to close to the northern boarder, politically getting more and more like them.

Well, I'll agree that it's expensive as hell here, there are pretty high sales taxes, and the price of real estate is pretty obscene, but business-wise I think they're about as friendly as anyplace else. Thank the gods we don't have any state income tax though or there'd be a whole lot more people living beneath overpasses.

Yes, for someone who enjoys outdoor activities, beautiful scenery, and some of the nicest summer weather imaginable it's wonderful, however, for anyone contemplating moving to the northwest, that thinks it is somehow the last untouched northwest wilderness, think again. About 95% of the population and most of the infrastructure is clustered in a few large cities, so the traffic is a constant snarl; because there aren't enough highways to efficiently move all of the folks that are driving here, you suffer from vitamin D deficiency during the fall/winter months due to lack of sunlight, and it's a democratic/liberal stronghold where every kind of silly nonsense is allowed and even encouraged. Sure, things are cheaper out in the boondocks but it's almost impossible for a home inspector to survive out there so they have to be in the urban areas.

California is a much better choice for those contemplating moving their operations, or, better yet, Ormand Beach, Florida. I highly recommend it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Steven Meyer Guest

Michael

Will agree, you can't beat the summers up here, winters I could do with out! I am fortunate in the fact that I will still be able to spend part of the summer up here, over on the peninsulia. Keeping that property.
    Will just be an Alaska A/L flight away!

Taxes are high, especially property taxes. Property taxes has effectively put me out of the rental business. I'm selling out, you just can get only so much money out of a rental. And, at least in King County, there does not seem to be an end in sight for raising the sales tax. We are now at about 10%, and they want more. Don't count on no income tax for long. It will happen, keep in mind "State of Washington, owned and opperated by City of Seattle". Keep a sharp eye on what goes on in silly Seattle, aka San Francisco North", it will soon be in your neighborhood! I will note the Seattle driven King county enforced, critical area ordinance!!! Whereby, you are only allowed to use a certain amount of YOUR LAND, the majority of it to be left in its natural state.

Furher, with Seattle/King County creative "vote counting method", you won't have much to say about it!!

The B&O tax has always been a grip with me, being taxed on gross sales, not net profit!

Not bashing Washington, has been a enjoyable 20 years. Can't beat all the great out door activities here. Winter south, summer north, The best of both worlds!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P. O'Handley View Post
    Well, I'll agree that it's expensive as hell here, there are pretty high sales taxes, and the price of real estate is pretty obscene, but business-wise I think they're about as friendly as anyplace else. Thank the gods we don't have any state income tax though or there'd be a whole lot more people living beneath overpasses.

Yes, for someone who enjoys outdoor activities, beautiful scenery, and some of the nicest summer weather imaginable it's wonderful, however, for anyone contemplating moving to the northwest, that thinks it is somehow the last untouched northwest wilderness, think again. About 95% of the population and most of the infrastructure is clustered in a few large cities, so the traffic is a constant snarl; because there aren't enough highways to efficiently move all of the folks that are driving here, you suffer from vitamin D deficiency during the fall/winter months due to lack of sunlight, and it's a democratic/liberal stronghold where every kind of silly nonsense is allowed and even encouraged. Sure, things are cheaper out in the boondocks but it's almost impossible for a home inspector to survive out there so they have to be in the urban areas.

California is a much better choice for those contemplating moving their operations, or, better yet, Ormand Beach, Florida. I highly recommend it.

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 04-06-2008 at 05:19 PM.

Around here (NC and SC) you have to be licensed to work in almost all self employed type jobs.

Let me throw this out for discussion:

Should home sellers feel good about allowing unlicensed, therefore unverified name/ID person to enter into their homes to perform an inspection?

Steven Meyer Guest

Depends on what your defination of a license is.

Most businesses here in Washington REQUIRE A MASTER BUSINESS LICENSE. This includes name of business, address, nature of business, owner(s), structure of business (sole proprietor, LLC, Corp. etc), and proof of any bond or insurance the state requires for that endeavor.

So, here, as long as a person meets those requirements, you are in business. I my self, look at it as more of a registration, consumers can check you out at the Department of Licensing, which does keep track of any complaints filed with them, and if you ae still current and in complaince.
    It's also a nifty way for the department of revenue to get its fair share of your income!!!

That was then, and this is now, as in a couple of months, we will still have to comply with the above, but with new licensing law have to prove we are worthy of being in that business.

So, our licensing will be just about the same, in many respects, just a few more hoops to jump throu.

So, makes little difference if it's a business license, or a specific business license (as the direction the HI industry sems to be going), the information is there for the consumer. Licensing of some kind does have its need. It at the very least shows you are who you say you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Around here (NC and SC) you have to be licensed to work in almost all self employed type jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post

Let me throw this out for discussion:

Should home sellers feel good about allowing unlicensed, therefore unverified name/ID person to enter into their homes to perform an inspection?

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 04-06-2008 at 05:13 PM.

Post Re: Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors

To say that licensing proves that you are who you say you are is a bit general, and not completely accurate. Forgery of public documents has, and always will be, a problem. Licensing of home inspectors puts a collar around the inspector's neck, and the leash in the hand of whom ever has the biggest wad of money in their pocket. Legislators and bureaucrats may then turn the leash over to whom ever pays out the largest sum. Requiring insurance or bonds is like requiring a tax paid to the trial lawyers association. They want to be able to sue you, and be guaranteed they will get something. It seems to be much more effective if the success of the home inspector hinges on their integrity, and service to their client.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    To say that licensing proves that you are who you say you are is a bit general, and not completely accurate. Forgery of public documents has, and always will be, a problem. Licensing of home inspectors puts a collar around the inspector's neck, and the leash in the hand of whom ever has the biggest wad of money in their pocket. Legislators and bureaucrats may then turn the leash over to whom ever pays out the largest sum. Requiring insurance or bonds is like requiring a tax paid to the trial lawyers association. They want to be able to sue you, and be guaranteed they will get something. It seems to be much more effective if the success of the home inspector hinges on their integrity, and service to their client.
    If you have never worked under a home inspector license, how do you know this to be factual? It is hearsay at best.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Aldering View Post
    ---- Requiring insurance or bonds ---
    They want to be able to sue you, and be guaranteed they will get something. .

Yep,

Just like being required to have a Drivers License and having Liability Insurance.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Bob White Guest

Hi,

Does Georgia require pest licenses or contractor licenses?
    Yes. **** HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical contractors, etc., are licensed. The latest "deadline" for GC's to meet licensing requirements is July 2008. ****

FWIW, after looking that bill over, I don't think any reasonably competent home inspector would have any reason to be afraid of it; the requirements aren't that tough and the time between passage (if it's signed) and implementation is such that most will probably be able to easily get the required hours, pass the tests, etc. before it kicks in.
    Agreed. the bill is not onerous at all.. It will, in fact, give me the impetus to get certified in those codes I am apt to cite in my reports...

At best, it will be an annoyance to most practicing inspectors and will force honest new folks coming into the business to have to at least get some training before hanging out a shingle.
    A very good thing....

Lastly, there will probably be a few who will howl and whine about it from signage all the way to implementation, who won't earnestly try and get as much of the requirements as possible completed by implementation date. When that day comes, they'll go to the board and complain that they didn't have enough time or were misinformed about the law and they will demand a waiver of the requirements. When they get turned down, they'll howl even louder and there are bound to be challenges to the law - at least that seems to have been the pattern in some other states.
    That's what the GC's did. They managed to get implementation delayed for at least a year (I'm thinking two...) ****I just checked, and the GC's licensing deadline has been delayed (again) 'til July 1 2008. I believe Jan 2006 was the initial "deadline."

Last edited by Bob White; 04-07-2008 at 06:27 AM. Reason: edited to update GC licensing info....

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post

Yep,

Just like being required to have a Drivers License and having Liability Insurance.
    That's an interesting observation. With an automobile, you aren't given a choice about liability, but if you want collision covereage (basically E & O) it's only mandated if you don't actually own the car yet, in order to protect the folks who financed it. However, if you own the car outright, it's up to you whether you want collision insurance or not. If you don't have it and you smack someone, you're basically SOL, unless you can afford to pay the damage out of your pocket.

If Georgia isn't requiring E & O and is only requiring liability, it's going to be up to the home inspector to make his or her own business decision about whether or not he or she wants to carry E & O or pay for screwups out of his or her own pocket.

People in this business are always howling about the liability we all take by being inspectors, but every time you drive a rolling 4,000 pound weapon out onto the highway you face an even greater risk of danger to yourself and others that we face in this business. It can ruin you the same way, or worse, than screwing up on a home inspection.

The requirements seem to be very similar to what we're going to have here.

OT - OF!!!

M.

Post Re: Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors

May be selling insurance is something to consider. With Michigan's economy, it's got to be a better business to be in right now.

On the other hand, if we could get the state to mandate home inspections for every property transfer, then we Michigan home inspectors would be in the same boat as the insurance agents, eh?

It certainly drives business. Exactly where, is another question?

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    House bill # 1217 is now on the governors desk waiting for signature.

This will mean that Georgia will be the next state to license home inspectors. That is two states so far this year! I'm betting that we will see maybe one more state this year passing licensing legislation.

You Lose The Governor Vetoed HB 1217

mathew stouffer Guest

It's been my experience licensure tends to remove a number of people from the field, side jobbers if you will. This is a good thing, and reduces competition.

Deleted Account Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    It's been my experience licensure tends to remove a number of people from the field, side jobbers if you will. This is a good thing, and reduces competition.

Please cite one instance where when state licensing came there was a reduction in the number of home inspectors, don't bother you can't because it never happened, it is a wives tale of grand proportion.

Read my lips... Licensing NEVER reduces competition, it just isn't in the best interest of the state to reduce the number of home inspectors it licenses. The number of home inspectors ALWAYS increases once licensing is established in a state and it appears that everyone except you knows that.

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    Please cite one instance where when state licensing came there was a reduction in the number of home inspectors, don't bother you can't because it never happened, it is a wives tale of grand proportion.

Read my lips... Licensing NEVER reduces competition, it just isn't in the best interest of the state to reduce the number of home inspectors it licenses. The number of home inspectors ALWAYS increases once licensing is established in a state and it appears that everyone except you knows that.
    From the information that I have seen (a while back), Indiana has not seen a noticeable increase since licensing has began. This is true here in Lake County where we are the second largest county in the state Indiana and located close to Chicago. We were told during our Tuesday meeting that there were around 67 home inspectors licensed in our county and the next one over. Taking in account that a percentage of those are newbies and a few (one I know of) that is license but hasn't started doing inspection yet, there is enough work around here for everyone.

I just took a Radon CE class in Illinois and many of the home inspectors are saying that the amount of home inspectors is decreasing in that state also.

I know that the market is poor in many areas and this might be the main reason why some of these people are not doing home inspections anymore. But without licensing, I feel these same people would be doing home inspections while working a full time job since there would be nothing to invest (example: licensing fee, continuing education classes, GL insurance).

In my opinion, just because some states have messed up doesn't mean that state licensing for home inspectors is bad. They just need to fine tune it just like our state is looking at doing for CE classes.

Just my opinions.

Last edited by Kevin Luce; 05-15-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Change the word toon to tune. Slap in the head for that mistake.

David Banks Guest

Here in the Licensed state of MA there are only around 600 HI. The state does not seem to care about increasing the number as they have made it very hard for new Inspectors to get started as you need to go through a training program with a Licensed HI. Problem for trainees is there is nothing in the law that requires us to train anyone, so the only ones that are are people who have family, friends or want to expand the business. In the 5 years I have been Licensed I have seen no significant increase. In fact I have seen a lot of licenses lapse, at one time I counted over 100. Do not know the numbers before Licensing.

Deleted Account Guest

In my opinion, just because some states have messed up doesn't mean that state licensing for home inspectors is bad.

They just need to fine toon it just like our state is looking at doing for CE classes. (My bold)

I''ll bet you really meant to say cartoon, right? Well then I agree, the state tinkering with our profession is definitely surreal and very much like a bad cartoon.

Cheers!

Kevin Luce Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burkeson View Post
    I''ll bet you really meant to say cartoon, right? Well then I agree, the state tinkering with our profession is definitely surreal and very much like a bad cartoon.

Cheers!
    That's not what I meant but I have to laugh at this post.

From what I have seen is that you might really see a perceived increase simply because the number of pre-license home inspectors was never documented.

So the first year of licensing starts the base number, then you work off of that. In the two states that I hold a license (MS & TN), I have seen a decrease in numbers once the first renewal period comes around. It then levels off and stays fairly consistent.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

In 2002, estimates in Kentucky (OK a few of us got together and combed the state for HIs) found aroud 400 people claiming to do home inspections. We might have missed a few of the hardware store clerks in small towns doing it part time.

There's still about 405 licensed inspectors two years after licensing became mandatory. (as of 4-24-08)

452 licenses have been issued
    http://www.ohbc.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/...List080424.xls

but 47 have expired, droppd out, etc. A few others who still hold licenses are also out of business.

A few of those expireds are grandfathered licenses who didn't get their paperwork in on time. They lost the grandfathered licensed and had to go back and get a regular license by meeting the requirements for a new license. Ooops!

There's always new ones coming in and old (some new too) ones going out.

Last edited by Erby Crofutt; 05-15-2008 at 07:09 PM.
    Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections